is this a mushroom coral?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
i was given this thing and it keeps falling off the rock. i think it's the current, it's on the sand now since i don't know how to get it on the rock and the bse of it has some hard things which look like snail shell parts perhaps? do these have any hard parts to them?

and this i'm told is a toadstool. it has a small snail shell stuck to it's base that i wedged between the rock to keep it up. am i doing this wrong?

since these are my first corals, do i need to add anything or supplement or do extra water testing? but i know these are supposed to be easy to keep corals.

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
You could super glue the mushroom to where you want it. The toadstool looks fine. Low to modarate flow for both of them. You don't need to do anything special for either coral other than have the correct lights to sustain them. The mushroom would benefit (but not necessary) a feeding of myssis shrimp once in awhile.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
That looks more like a frogspawn than a mushroom........both are fairly easy keepers. Frogspawn have a calcium skeleton, that's what that hard stuff is.

You can superglue the hard part to a rock to keep it from drifting. Use a small piece of rubble.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
My guess is a hairy mushroom or ricordea. If you have some netting / bridal veil you can wrap it around the mushroom and a rock, loosely. After a week or so it should attach to the rock and then you can remove the netting.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
It's a frogspawn, not a mushroom. It was probably broken off too closely to the head so you don't see the skeleton part of the coral, but that is definitely not a mushroom.

frogspawn with green mushrooms and blue striped....

Ricordea shroom....ignore the flatworms...

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Here's a closer look at the polyps of the frogspawn. I took this pic of some damage mine took when I dropped it against a rock while moving things around. doh

Hope the pics help you out. Frogspawn is a nice coral but aggressive. You'll want to keep it away from other coral. Those polyps can stretch right out to sting others nearby.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
You could super glue the mushroom to where you want it. The toadstool looks fine. Low to modarate flow for both of them. You don't need to do anything special for either coral other than have the correct lights to sustain them. The mushroom would benefit (but not necessary) a feeding of myssis shrimp once in awhile.
ok, but "super glue" what type of glue? surely a special one.

That looks more like a frogspawn than a mushroom........both are fairly easy keepers. Frogspawn have a calcium skeleton, that's what that hard stuff is.

You can superglue the hard part to a rock to keep it from drifting. Use a small piece of rubble.
what do i use a small piece of rubble for? i'll get some new pics of them, doesn't look like your frogspawn.
My guess is a hairy mushroom or ricordea. If you have some netting / bridal veil you can wrap it around the mushroom and a rock, loosely. After a week or so it should attach to the rock and then you can remove the netting.
ok, i might go that way.
I still say mushroom. ;) The OP will have to tell us if it has a hard skeleton base to know for sure. :)
it definitely has some hard stuff underneath, but i'm scared to touch it for fear of killing it. can i take it out of the water for a moment to photograph it for you guys?

ty for the help so far everyone btw :thm:

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef

here's a direct link to the rest of the images for bigger size. imageshack likes to make things that were once simple, complicated now.
http://img7.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img5552f.jpg

^^^^
today this toadstool has stayed this way for the first time. any idea why?

^^^
hard things can be seen

btw
shortly after i bought my lights. (nove extreme saltwater HO T5 18" 2x20 50/50) this thing showed up. can anyone ID this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store