is this crazy money

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Originally posted by isaac newton
Hmmm have oscars ever been breeded in captivity???? A friend of mine has a 75 gal tank and that fish is huge! It hardly has any space to swim around.. To breed these fish wouldn't you need a sizeable tank to house these fish and let alone breed them?
Yes, you do need a big tank, but given that Oscars are not hard to breed, and virtually all the ones you see are captive bred.

Baensch says that Oscars are sexually mature at 4.5", which must help.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by Faramir

Yes, you do need a big tank, but given that Oscars are not hard to breed, and virtually all the ones you see are captive bred.

Baensch says that Oscars are sexually mature at 4.5", which must help.
Maybe they should wild catch a few the inbreeding on them has gotten out of control we have more deformed oscars come in as babys and with hole in head as adults. I havent seen 1 perfect oscar in a the thousand we import every year:(.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by Cearbhaill

"Proven breeding pair" indicates that there has been successful breeding with each other, but I would still want clarification of when, under what conditions, and with what percentage viable fry. Some fish are better parents than other fish :D
I am under the impression that some vendors sell cichlids as proven breeding pairs if they have done so little as laid eggs together. Of course, female-female "pairs" could lay eggs together, and this would lead aquarists to buy such pairs. Moral of the story: get a clear definition of what the seller means by "proven breeding pair".

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Ehhhh. There are many fish that sell for much, much more. Rays, koi, discus, many saltwater fish, many rare plecos, cichlids, etc.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
There was a very juvenile Motoro Stingray in a tank (with Elephant Noses, too, grrr...) at A World of Fish in Richfield, MN, which was selling for $199.99, and that was only one of many at a steep price.

SBee

AC Members
Feb 19, 2003
Delta, BC, Canada!
Jinks and I were at Big Al's a couple weeks ago......and a guy there was picking up his arrowana.....he had it there for some reason........anyways......he nonchalantly told us that it cost him $5,000 (or 3,000 maybe? one or the other) and that he had a collection at home.
This was just a young guy too.....and I couldn't get over how UN-EXCITED he was.....he just seemed like "ya, whatever, thousands of dollars for a fish, ah well"
craaaaazy!

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
yeah arrowna are VERY VERY expensive(except those silver ones i think whish still go for about 150-300$around here). A LFS by my house has a 8000$, a 15000$ and a 20 000$can arrowna.

They are beautiful but i could never justify getting a fish that costed that much. I would rather have a car:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store