Is this fish aggression?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
I added a single clown to my tank that also houses a damsel. When I added him the always shy damsel started asserting his dominance by coming out, eating all the food, etc. The damsel stalks the clown into the corner of the tank but he doesnt attack him. Is he just being a prick or do I have to worry about the safety of the clown?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Sounds like damsel aggression. I've found they like to stalk and chase.

As for whether things will be okay...it depends. Unfortunately it isn't always an easy thing to predict. Sometimes they work out a balance, sometimes they fight constantly without hurting each other, and sometimes the fish goes all highlander on the tank. It is often a wait and see and if it doesn't tone down within a couple days then intervene type thing.

For example; when I added my Eibli Angel recently I expected my Rusty Angel to go into territorial-mode and throw a tantrum. It took him a day to get over it. The young Princess Damsels on the other hand were quite the surprise. They would go out of their way (5' tank...territory opposite ends of the tank) to pick on the Eibli. After a few days I had to remove them because they just kept randomly picking on it.
When it comes to damsels you never know what they'll take a disliking to (well, except other damsels...that's a safe bet...) or how persistent they'll be about it.

Clowns can be pretty tough fish (they are damsels after all) and will probably work it out. Just keep an eye on them.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
I kind of got annoyed so I chased the damsel with my little net for a few minutes and now he isnt touching the clown. I mean the damsel has his own little territory by the heater and my clown is on the other side of the tank so hopefully it works out. If not I have my 2nd tank on standby "/

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
So this is the 10G tank that you said stinks up an entire room with your other thread? The 10G with the damsel that was already stressed out? Now you are chasing fish around a tank? With a brand new fish in that is already freaked out? I hope your fish have strong immune systems because that sounds like a recipe for ich if I ever read one.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
The one that stinks up yes, but my damsel wasnt stressed. He was doing good. And yes I chase him around the tank, Im guilty lol but the clown is fine hes swimming everywhere, eating, etc

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
So this is the 10G tank that you said stinks up an entire room with your other thread? The 10G with the damsel that was already stressed out? Now you are chasing fish around a tank? With a brand new fish in that is already freaked out? I hope your fish have strong immune systems because that sounds like a recipe for ich if I ever read one.
Wow. Just.... Wow.

vera222

AC Members
Apr 5, 2010
You went and bought a clown after all these other issues you were having??? First of all your tank is not big enough! Secondly, i'm convinced the only reason the damsel is still alive at this point is because they are just generally REALLY hardy fish. Why on earth do you have this tank set up, when all you are doing is stressing these poor animals, and ultimately going to cause their deaths. I really just don't get it at all...

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
They've been fine in the tank for 2 weeks, if they were stressed wouldn't they have gotten ich already?
Stress doesn't equal ich. Ich is a parasite that, if the spores or whatever are present, is more likely to strike when fish are stressed and their immune systems are weakened. That does *not* mean fish are only stressed if they get ich.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store