Is this newly recycled old tank ready for Angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stefanie O'Dell

AC Members
Jul 28, 2018
Destin FL
Camera Used
Iphone6splus
let me explain newly recycled old tank. I took it down about a month ago and then decided to set it back up again. I had to replace the base that was failing badly, before there was a major cave in and flood. It’s a 36 gal bow front. Led light strip.
I left the substrate, black fluorite sand/gravel that is about 6 years old, in a bucket, wet, on porch outside. It was not washed or disturbed.
I did rinse it well 3 times inside tank. Good enough. No smell and no mold. Looked great. Removed dead tiny white snails, hundreds of them. After a couple days added my spotted catfish and some plants. Filters are hot magnum and penguin biowheel both hang on back of tank.
Tested water today and am super happy to announce all levels are perfect w exception of ph being a bit low, at 7.0.
High range ph 7.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0Isbthisbtank ready to add more plants and CO2
And Angelfish??

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
pH is fine, that is not low.

Plants, yes, CO2, maybe...angels, meh. Are they domestically bred, or a wild strain?

Stefanie O'Dell

AC Members
Jul 28, 2018
Destin FL
Camera Used
Iphone6splus
pH is fine, that is not low.

Plants, yes, CO2, maybe...angels, meh. Are they domestically bred, or a wild strain?

Domestic or wild?? Guess you’re not an Angelfish fan. Lol. I have no idea if wild or domestic. My local fish store carries them and I can only ask when I buy them. I love the look of Angelfish and can’t wait to have 3.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Not a cichlid fan in general, but most likely they are a domestic tank bred strain, which means they're pretty tolerant to a wide range of water conditions and so long as the tank is stable, they will be fine. Wild caught angels are more sensitive and will do better if kept in conditions closer to native habitat--which means tannic, low pH, very low TDS.

3 in a 35 will be pretty tight once they mature.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Adding CO2 to the aquarium will depend on the livestock that it in there. So long as you do not add too much, say to get the level over 30PPM as an example, you iwll be fine to add CO2.

But it might not really be necessary, and if not controlled well, will affect the tank inhabitants.. but it sounds like you're already experienced, so there should not be a problem.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Stephanie, tell us more about what you've kept in terms of plants, CO2, etc.

Curious of what you have in terms of lighting. Like said, adding CO2 may not be necessary based on what plants and lighting you have.

I agree that 3 angels would be a lot for 35g. I keep a single (saucer sized) angel with a few female bettas in a 29g with plants. The only reason the angel is in the 29g is I had to move her out of my 55 because she was getting beaten up by 2 tiger barbs that are in there.

Stefanie O'Dell

AC Members
Jul 28, 2018
Destin FL
Camera Used
Iphone6splus
Well I am taking all of your experienced advice and am switching gears while it’s still in beginning stage w this aquarium.
I am going to have a Betta community tank. I have the right set up and size tank and am in love with these little guys. Doing my homework and it will work. I’ve now got my tank planted pretty heavily and have several hiding spaces for them. The community fish I put in today are 2 baby bristle nose plecos and 6 veil tails and 1 half moon very young male betta. Couldn’t resist his beauty.
I’ll let them settle in for a day or two and move forward with female bettas.
To answer what lighting I have it is a strip type led over glass top. Plants are ferns, Anubis and some new big leafy plant with rust colored specks. Very pretty.

Stefanie O'Dell

AC Members
Jul 28, 2018
Destin FL
Camera Used
Iphone6splus
Stephanie, tell us more about what you've kept in terms of plants, CO2, etc.

Curious of what you have in terms of lighting. Like said, adding CO2 may not be necessary based on what plants and lighting you have.

I agree that 3 angels would be a lot for 35g. I keep a single (saucer sized) angel with a few female bettas in a 29g with plants. The only reason the angel is in the 29g is I had to move her out of my 55 because she was getting beaten up by 2 tiger barbs that are in there.
And you answered a question of is it safe to keep an angel w bettas.

Stefanie O'Dell

AC Members
Jul 28, 2018
Destin FL
Camera Used
Iphone6splus
The bio cube has its own lighted hood. It has a timer for 3 settings.
I took a lot of the plants out of there. One Anubis is doing well and moving the CO2 to the soon to be Betta tank. I wish I could post pictures already.
At least I was able to put a profile picture of Cedric my black crown betta up.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Keeping a male in with females is not advised--the girls usually get far away when a male has a bubble nest. Community tanks of splendens are called sororities because they are all females, no males at all. \. And make sure the tank is very well covered.

An anubias does not need CO2. It's a slow growing plant under the best of circumstances, and nitrogen is not the limiting factor. What are the other plants?

6 angels is way too many. Adding this many fish all at once is risky--make sure to monitor ammonia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store