issue with Ph

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

02tts

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
I have not tried changing the salinity, right now I'm at 1.021...not sure how that would, if anything, affect pH that much....if anything, I would tend to think it might lower it...thoughts...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The only thing salinity would change would be the overall capacity of the water to hold calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium in solution. It doesn't appear you have a problem with either of those, so that won't affect your pH. I do agree, however, that you should raise it. Keep in mind that natural seawater sits around 1.0264 (@77 degrees Fahrenheit) or 35 ppt.

02tts

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
right...yes, I let it sit overnight, both inside and outside the house...

inside the house aerated 12-14 hours later: 8.25
outside the house aerated 12-14 hours later: 8.27
non aerated inside the house after 24 hours: 8.11
non aerated outside the house after 24 hours: 8.13

this is what's bugging me...as you can see, from both aeration and non aeration tests, the change is very minimal if even noticeable - only noticeable because of digital meters...

I know aeration fixes my pH issue...now why in the heck will it not solve it in my tank, in other words, I have more than enough flow (fish only tank), no canopy, lights are 13" ABOVE top line of tank, fans, etc, etc...tank temp is 79...and I've removed ALL sand, and ALL rock and put in new aragonite dry sand...no changes.

it's as barebones as it gets - in other words, there is nothing I can possibly pinpoint or question that might be lowering my pH....only other things I have in place are a carbon chamber/reactor, phospahte chamber/reactor, nitrate sponge chamber/reactor - and I don't see how any of these three would have an effect on pH at all....

Last edited:

02tts

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
only reason why I keep it low is because it seems to keep the pest away, ich and disease...and of course, salt-creep :) but other than that, I see no reason not to bring it to 1.024 or 1.025 - will prob. do that next water change, bring it up to 1.024.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Unfortunately, ich is only affected at much lower salinities. Keeping the salinity higher won't be detrimental to the fish if done slowly. It will also help out the live rock and the invertebrate fauna with it.

Ok, it appears that you don't have significant CO2 levels. Again, if you are concerned, you can easily raise it using some kalkwasser (slowly) or using a refugium that grows macroalgae. Both remove CO2 and the former will go further and actually raise the pH beyond that point.

02tts

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
yes, becasue I believ kalwasser has a ph of what 12 or 13...but how much does lower alkalinity....since that will affect the pH buffer on the water..

thoughts....(I've persnoally never used or had to use kalwasser, so I'm asking for advice on usage and how it will affect alk... vs. pH).

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
yes, becasue I believ kalwasser has a ph of what 12 or 13...but how much does lower alkalinity....since that will affect the pH buffer on the water..

thoughts....(I've persnoally never used or had to use kalwasser, so I'm asking for advice on usage and how it will affect alk... vs. pH).
It will actually raise the alkalinity of the water when it reacts with available carbon dioxide. Of course, it adds an balanced amount of calcium, too, making it a nice, balanced calcium and alkalinity additive. Just under 1% of the actual system volume added in kalkwasser will raise the alkalinity by about 1 dKH, but the pH will be raised by nearly .5 units (not something you want to do). Of course, this is if it is added all at one time, not slowly dripped. As long as it is administered very slowly, there shouldn't be a huge pH raise--rather, it should slightly raise it and keep it stable.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Got any pictures of your tank and system to show us :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store