I've Got Crabs.....!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trigger

AC Members
Jan 19, 2003
Jordan, Minnesota
Visit site
OK,,,, I do have crabs there in my tank.... now with the question. I used to have a fish only tank with live rock and crushed coral in it, I am beginning to switch over the coral to "live" sand and make this tank hopefully look nice. My two kids along with my wife made a trip to the store and purchased 2 large "hermit crabs" (I think) and decided they wanted them in the tank. This was about 3 weeks ago. Man they looked great in there and everything was going great till Thursday evening. The largest one named "Snuggles" moved to a area in a piece of live rock and started to go thru a transformation. He began to shed is pinchers and face. And then presto next day there he is walking around again. I will try to include a couple pictures. What I want to know is...IS THIS NORMAL? and second of all Am I the only Dumb one that names every animal that goes into the tank?
This top picture is where he did his work

This picture was after the transformation...

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
All crustaceans (crabs, shrimp, lobsters, etc) will molt - they shed their old exoskeleton as it isn't flexible, so they couldn't grow without ditching it. You can expect the average hermit to molt at least every couple of weeks.

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
Originally posted by Trigger
I've Got Crabs.....!!!!!!!!
You know, they've got a special shampoo for that.

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
Here is a shot of when one of my Scarletts molted near the BTA... Yummy!

and no, I name most of my critters too... Not the hermits, cuz I've got so many, must most everything else gets a name =)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store