I've joined the dark side. Soon to be manager of the Petland Lancaster fish dep.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swany

Swan Crane Svc.
Congratulations to you! It is great that you can have your "own" fish store without having to pay the bills! My dream job!!

My request/suggestion - please do not sell dyed, painted or tatooed fish. Here is a website: http://www.deathbydyeing.org/moreau.htm

Make sure your profile cards are laminated or placed in some type of plastic barrier as they will get wet.

Umm, I can't think of anything else. While reading through all the comments, everyone else spoke my ideas. So, ditto on everyone else - LOL. Oh yeah - keep the karma good. It will come back.

Good luck,
Swany.

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
Just read the whole thread now- good job! Now if someone like you can work at the petco in downtown Chicago id be a happy girl. I dont think a single person there even likes fish. Keep the pictures coming!

Just take a drive out to the St. Charles Petco. I'll take care of you. The only thing is that I work days.

Congrats on your official title. I know that your store will be the best around.:headbang2:

It's great that my hubby listens to my daily rants about some of my daily challenges, otherwise I might explode. I think that he likes to listen to my "fish" stories. Sometimes I throw in a reptile story in for a change of pace.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
This is my opinion in that, if you tryed to deny me fish, i would go elsewhere.

Its the average fishkeeper that keeps stores in business guy buys fish, fish dies, goes and buys more fish. So trying to educate is fine, But saying no you cant have this etc... Is also bad practice. Especially for small not so big time fish stores. Its the repeat business that keeps them going.

Not because everyone stocks the tank perfectly and never kills a fish in less then a year.. If this were the case, I can guarentee locally Most if not all local small shops would be shut down. And perhaps most stores would also get rid of their fish department all together, if at the end of the day dog food is supporting the store, and the fish department is spending more then its bringing in, thats alot of realestate to put other more profitable items .

My two cents imo
You make a good point, but IMO it's the special store that is able to help turn the "average fishkeeper" into the exceptional. Livestock is only a draw for the store (and most likely not profitable at all), the business lives or dies on dry goods. By expanding the average fishkeeper's knowledge, you open up a wide range of possibilities. Planted, lights, ferts, CO2, SW and all the related equipment. They're are profitable niches in aquatics. It's not all about the dog food.

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
You make a good point, but IMO it's the special store that is able to help turn the "average fishkeeper" into the exceptional. Livestock is only a draw for the store (and most likely not profitable at all), the business lives or dies on dry goods. By expanding the average fishkeeper's knowledge, you open up a wide range of possibilities. Planted, lights, ferts, CO2, SW and all the related equipment. They're are profitable niches in aquatics. It's not all about the dog food.
:iagree: 100%! I want a repeat customer not just a sale. You are more likely to return to a store if you get great service from someone who cares and is knowledgeable, then someone who is just out to sell you the moon.

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
I personally hate Petland. Not many places around here that sell fish, but Petland happens to be one of them. When we got our first tank, being newbies and not knowing better we went to Petland and spent $125 on tropical fish all at once. None of them survived and petland would do nothing. We already had other fish in there that did fine and our water tested perfect.
After being in the fish hobby for awhile and looking around we discovered that Petland is 50% to 100% higher than everyone else on their fish! We do go there anymore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store