jag and butterfokeri info please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I currently have a buttikoferi and a jag my female jag is way more aggresive then my buttikoferi and my uncle had a red devil which I some times wonder which one would be the most agressive but that like many other fish my uncle has had died. I say a jag but make sure you have a big enough tank a female jag needs a min tank of 60 gallons and a male jag needs a min tank of 90 gallons and a buttikoferi need a min tank of 70-90gal. What size tank do you have???

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
Buttis, jags are NOT the top 3 most aggressive american cichlids. Dovii, umbee, green tigers and several otehrs are more aggressive than any of those 3

TTman

AC Members
May 20, 2001
LOLS!! dude u trip me out. it's totally funny that whatever u happen to own (no matter how unknown) must be included...
IMO, some fish are known to be always nasty, like dovii, devils, buttis and then for the rest, it varies so much according to each individual fish.

Originally posted by Mattimeo
Buttis, jags are NOT the top 3 most aggressive american cichlids. Dovii, umbee, green tigers and several otehrs are more aggressive than any of those 3

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
That is true ttman teperment in cichlids very just like Mojos dovii there said to be mean and aggressive but his is more placid and calm. It jut varies you might get a sissy buttikoferi or a fighter same with almost every cichlid.

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I'm just stating my experiences with those fish. Do you have a problem with that? What really amazes me is where in that post you saw me say that I own those fish. True that I do (except the umbie), however, I never said that once in that post. Sounds like somebody is jealous or refuses to acknowledge the fact that a 15 year old hobbyist could possibly own said fish (you cut me down on anotehr board and refused to believe that I owned anything that i said I did simply because I am 15, which shows just how ignorant you really are).

What really trips ME out is how you refuse to acknowledge the fact that I have kept buttis and in this case, still do keep jaguars. I brought up green tigers because they are anotehr c.a. bruiser. They were brought into the convo to further prove my point. Get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

Furthermore, I never once said that there are no exceptions. i've seen/had placid jags, midas, labiatus, etc. As a matter of fact, the ONLY highly fish I've never seen a placid specimen of would be a. zaliosus, and that is probably due to the rarity of the species.

But overall, IME the average buttikofferi are closer to labiatus in temperment.

Last edited:

TTman

AC Members
May 20, 2001
and I believe you're 15. cause it shows. as for the other thread, u STATED, u have owned "DOZENS upon DOZENS" of big nastys. see that's where I PUT U ON THE SPOT (for making big mindless blanket statements like that) and since u had NO PROOF & u don't even list your tanks & what's in them anywhere, I can assume 2 things: 1. your full of it 2. your dad has a pretty big collection (that u claim is yours).

oh by the way I have owned fish since I was 8, so yes I do believe u can own fish at 15. but you're missing the point...

I own 15 tanks, 10 of them running. that's not enuff tanks for me to even (ethically) think about DOZENS upon DOZENS of big nasty fish. but u do seem a knowledgable guy, perhaps u just got excited in the heat of the moment, lols.

BTW if u have pictures of all your tanks & all your dozens upon dozens of big nasty cichlids, POST IT. it will certainly shut me up. 1 more thing, don't crosstalk about another forum's threads. if u have a issue about a particular thread in a particular forum, respond there. seems logical, doesn't it? have a nice day.

Originally posted by Mattimeo
I'm just stating my experiences with those fish. Do you have a problem with that? What really amazes me is where in that post you saw me say that I own those fish. True that I do (except the umbie), however, I never said that once in that post. Sounds like somebody is jealous or refuses to acknowledge the fact that a 15 year old hobbyist could possibly own said fish (you cut me down on anotehr board and refused to believe that I owned anything that i said I did simply because I am 15, which shows just how ignorant you really are).

What really trips ME out is how you refuse to acknowledge the fact that I have kept buttis and in this case, still do keep jaguars. I brought up green tigers because they are anotehr c.a. bruiser. They were brought into the convo to further prove my point. Get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

Furthermore, I never once said that there are no exceptions. i've seen/had placid jags, midas, labiatus, etc. As a matter of fact, the ONLY highly fish I've never seen a placid specimen of would be a. zaliosus, and that is probably due to the rarity of the species.

But overall, IME the average buttikofferi are closer to labiatus in temperment.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store