Jaguar Cichlid Tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Patrick N

Registered Member
Nov 2, 2015
I'm planning on buying a 125 gallon aquarium and I want to also buy a Jaguar Cichlid. Could I also keep a Red Devil, Oscar, Green Terror, Texas and a large pleco with the Jaguar? I would buy all of the fish as babies except the pleco (so it doesn't get picked on). Any suggestions on tankmates?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
You are asking for trouble trying to keep 5 large cichlids in a 125. They may get along when small, but that doesn't mean they will continue to do so as they grow out. What will happen if you get a really mean and big male jag? Eventually you might not have to worry about his tankmates anymore (none left). Before any cichlid you should put the pleco in first, IMO. Doesn't sound like you would be willing to keep only one male jag with the pleco, so maybe try to get a male and female jag as pair.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Agreed with Duckie on this one. That's a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Stick with one of those species as a pair and the pleco, if you really want one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store