java fern transplant question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Hi all-

I have a java fern that is currently attached to a decoration on one side. It's grown a long rhizome off of it across to the other side and beyond, maybe 6" at least? I was wondering if it was ok to cut a portion of the rhizome off of the end to glue it to a new decoration, or if it was detrimental to the plant? Picture enclosed of it, it's grown nicely over the last 6-7 yrs.

ET

20210824_071512.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Should be totally fine To cut the rhizome

Apr 2, 2002
New York
The good rule of thumb for this is it helps that the cut off portion has a few (2-3) leaves on it. Anubias, where one has removed all the leaves from a rhizome, if left in the tank, will usually begin to produce new leaves. But this takes a bunch of time and who wants to look at a bare rhizome for a while anyway?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
3 leaves on a rhizome with some roots is a minimum for me. Cut off as much as you'd like, it's a nice healthy looking fern. Super glue gel or sewing thread to attach to decor.

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Hi all. Thanks for help. I've cut and attached the cuttings to another decoration, time will tell whether it grows well. Another question though - the large Java fern leaves have plantlets growing, some of which are getting somewhat large. However, they haven't broken off, and actually show no signs of doing so. Is it OK to cut them off to transplant? Not sure if I need to wait, or it's safe to do so. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, you can cut them or just kind of scrape off the plantlets with a fingernail...gently, you want leaves & roots. Or if the old leaf is ratty looking & you don't have a place for the plantlet yet you can just cut off the old leaf near the rhizome (with attached baby) & let it float around the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store