Java fern

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
My java fern has blackish patches all over the leaves. It is in a tank with a pH about 7.8 and hard water with high buffering capacity. The lights are two 65-watt 6700k bulbs (Coralife power compact).

The patches are not sporangia.

Any clues?

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Not sure.

I've never noticed that w/ my java fern except sometimes parts of the leaves turn dark and rot off.

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
I have one in my tank that has that also. I've tried to rub it off with my fingers with no results. Any ideas anyone?

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Very interesting articles on the Krib.
I have a Jave fern that is reproducing by the little plantlets growing on the back of the leaves. This started before I started to add all the ferts etc.

They started as dots, but what I have is whole patches of black on a couple of leaves.

ergo sum

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
Let the new plantlets grow and don't worry about the leaves right now. If you do start getting new leaves cut the old ones out. Java fern grows best from the new plantlets. It is slow but they do better in the long run. Just give it all time and it will be fine.

I had a similar problem recently and it took a few months to work it out but now it is all doing fine and I have cut out most of the blackened leaves.

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
It's not the spores (sporangia, etc.). I looked into that possibility already... the area around them is rotting, and there are no new plantlets and it's been that way for a couple of months.

Trust me, I really looked into that....

Maybe I'll try trimming it back a little, it was gettings pretty poofy.

pl*co

Feeds low on the food chain
Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
nursie said:
Very interesting articles on the Krib.
I have a Jave fern that is reproducing by the little plantlets growing on the back of the leaves. This started before I started to add all the ferts etc.

They started as dots, but what I have is whole patches of black on a couple of leaves.
Same here. The plantlets are starting at the tips of the older leaves, but I also have a few new stems coming up from the bottom.

a7oneal said:
It's not the spores (sporangia, etc.). I looked into that possibility already... the area around them is rotting, and there are no new plantlets and it's been that way for a couple of months..
Mine start to do that at the edge after awhile on the older leaves. At first I thought the snails were after it, but not so. The leaves seem a little brittle to me, but it is my first Java Fern, so I don't have much to go by. My Firemouth was after it until I trimmed it back and moved it. Crazy fish didn't like where I put it, so it kept trying to push it away. The result was tattered leaves. Anything sounding familiar yet? I think I will look around for an article on Java Fern problems. Maybe there is something we can use from it.

the_dougie

Why call it tunaFISH??
Oct 17, 2004
Toronto area, Canada
I find that java ferns do better in soft water. in fact, i had the same problem when mine were in hard water. they turned blackish in patches and died.
is it buried in substrate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store