Java moss ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
I bought 2 golf ball size of java moss a few months ago. Original idea was to build a java wall but scraped that idea pretty quickly. I then took the moss and wedged it in opposite ends of the driftwood. This has worked out great. The amano shrimp, when they were very small would hide in here and I have 2 RCS that live in it as well.
The thing is it is really growing fast and I want to do something with it instead of selling, throwing away or java wall. Any suggestions? Is it also possible for it to stick or grow on anything?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Pretty much anything with a textured or roughened surface. So if you have something smooth, just use a scotchbrite pad to roughen it. I usually tie it with dark green or black thread and by the time the thread dissolves into nothing the moss is well attached.

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
I have one of those plastic skulls in my tank and I thought that would look really cool covered in the java moss. So if I just make it a really rough surface the moss should be able to stick to it? Also I have a sump tank that has a refugium and I just have that filled (1/4) with small lava rocks and ceramic rings. Would it be a good idea to put some of the jm in here? The only other thing in there is the purigen and a bag of charcoal bits.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
how long does java moss take to attach to a decor?
Depends if you don't want it to to attach then it seems to do it overnight, if you want it to attach then never lol.

Really it seems to depend on the surface your trying to get it to attach too, lava rock and some types of driftwood it can get pretty well attached in a couple weeks.

If you can get some nice smaller branchy type driftwood you can make an underwater tree with the moss.

aki33

AC Members
May 15, 2012
Depends if you don't want it to to attach then it seems to do it overnight, if you want it to attach then never lol.

Really it seems to depend on the surface your trying to get it to attach too, lava rock and some types of driftwood it can get pretty well attached in a couple weeks.

If you can get some nice smaller branchy type driftwood you can make an underwater tree with the moss.

hahaha! i know right! i have a small piece of driftwood in my tank. a little green on it would good. i'll try the java moss again, its a hit or miss with those. plus my zebra danios love going through them therefore ruining the set-up >_< haha!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store