Jay's Planted 180g Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oooh, very interesting plants! Thanks so much for a closer look. Is that a flower I see in the first 1? Awesome! Keep us posted on their progress. I saw a dark purple amazing looking 1 when I googled, might that be "brownie blue" or some other? Go JAY!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Oooh, very interesting plants! Thanks so much for a closer look. Is that a flower I see in the first 1? Awesome! Keep us posted on their progress. I saw a dark purple amazing looking 1 when I googled, might that be "brownie blue" or some other? Go JAY!
Your welcome. Yes that's a flower =) but it arrived like that it didn't grow in my tank. I was shopping by google picture myself only to be surprised by what I received, but I'll be patient is how they adjust since I don't know the conditions grown in. I've been told with most plants the only way to truly tell is to grow them emersed to ID but I'm definitely not ready for that.

These are such slow growers I won't be converting my 45gal anytime soon, barely enough for my PICO...LOL It seem to be slower than A. nana petite, which requirement conditions are often compared to and I've had my nana petite referred to as a retirement plant since it grows well for me and was hoping for the same with Buces.

Here's a good link posted by a club member for another site.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...rsed-culture/87637-bucephalandra-all-one.html

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well I'm please to say the tank is doing well no terrible algae outbreaks that I can't live with even on the Anubias, but the Hygrophila pinnatifida is bugging the @#$% out of me. 1.) I've seen pictures where it's short bushy 2.) I've also seen where the plant has broader leaves. 3.) but I was confused most to see the plant come up somewhere it was not planted to my dismay it does runners.

The H. pinnatifida has been in the tank for a while so it has had time to establish itself the leaves are slender the stems are thick and tall very twiggy not the short bushy plant I was hoping for. If anyone is growing H. pinnatifida as a bush please share your secret.

I had to give up on avoiding trimming the L. glandulosa I was going to wait to the next local club meeting to trim but the stem was almost 3 feet long and I thought it was restricting too much light from the other plants. I can't immediately tell but the Buces seem happier for it. And I've finally gotten a decent flower out of Anubias nana under water =)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The only h. pinnatifida I've seen it at a lfs display tank. It is planted but grows up a stump & out the tank top. It looks to be rooted to the wood. I didn't know about the runners, they probably just sell them off. I like the short kind on crypts & swords to make a clump but have issues with vals popping up everywhere. So pretty but I may have to think twice if it needs lots of control.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I went with H. pinnatifida because it is such a pretty plant with a unique leaf how could I pass it up. =) I'm not ready to give up on it just yet but am definitely hoping for better results. It's no where near the high maintenance of Vals thankfully switch those to Cyperus helferi. I do have several types of Crypts spiralis, parva, wendtti, gecko, and I think nurii (the blassii is in there but not doing much.)

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Looks like the 180g has dense enough plantings to provide shelter for the egg scatters like Tetras... I'm seeing baby Columbian Tetras again spotted at least one so far which was just big enough to make out the type since the tail was already showing the red signs.

I may consider getting my hands at least 6 congo tetras that would be cool if they would breed. =)

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Pretty cool to here that your Columbians are spawning. . . . and when you tire of the H. pinnatifida, let me know - I'll take it off your hands for you

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Pretty cool to here that your Columbians are spawning. . . . and when you tire of the H. pinnatifida, let me know - I'll take it off your hands for you
LOL I'll keep you in mind. It has actually been doing better since cutting back the L. glandulosa althought the H. pinnatifida seems slow to fill if it does fill in we'll see.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well I hadn't taken any new pics because I had done a large trimming and just had a bit of a mess in the tank until the plants could sell. Anyway the tank has been in pretty much cruise control for about a month now. My experiment with a web enabled four port timer was a bust so I went back to the old timer. My pops was boasting about his wood working skills as a young man so I called him on it to help me make a match cabinet and hood. (My existing one is black sticks out like a sore thumb in the living room and I'd like to get it a dark wood stain like gun stock.) Unfortunately this will be a short vacation so it won't go down this go around.

Well I know most just poke around for pics so here we go....

FTS (Plants trimmed L. glandulosa, A. reinekii, H. corymbosa and L. cardinalis this one still floating around just trimmed it yesterday.)

Right Side

Left Side

C. parva growing in slowly (Oh and the blxya coming up out of no where must of still had some roots under the gravel from plants months ago.)

My pitiful collection of buces

H. pinnatifida sending off all kinds of side shoots

My hack job on the L. glandulosa

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store