Jewel Cichlids in a 29 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
I have Turquiose jewels..I introduced a female to one of my two males a week ago, now I have 115 jewel cichlids..I would be willing to let you have a male and a female, or say, eight juvys for $15 plus shipping. I'm in Florida.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Its less stress on females for a time with multiple females,..however many "selected or alpha" females will dispose of extra competition,..watch for that. There is a lot of confusion about jewels because they behave very differently to each other and to any others who may be with them. I have a pair of turquiose jewels that never bicker with each other, raise young to overcrowd, but try to kill anything else in tank. I don't like any sacrificing, so they have a 20 long to themselves..pretty soon they will need a 55, as they are hppy and growing. I've had red jewels that my males would kill the female as soon as fry hatched..the entire strain seemed inclined to behave this way. My opinion is you must judge behaviours on individual basis and envirenment.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
...............My opinion is you must judge behaviours on individual basis and envirenment.
:thumbsup:

Even in this post you get some different opinions. All good advice, but this ^ this right here^

You may get lucky and have more than 2 work out, you may not. Environment is a huge factor too. Hiding places, water conditions, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store