Joel's 1st Marine Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Blenny: Yes, he's much darker than bicolors I've seen live and online. The LFS guy described him as a "Tongan" blenny ... does that map to one of the species Amp mentioned? Whatever he is, I'm definitely enjoying him -- seems to be getting more comfortable each day.

Snails: Ok, I'll keep watch and give them a flip when needed.

Stocking: Right now it's just the blenny, cleaner shrimp, and snails. I would like to try another jawfish down the road, and also some free swimming fish like clowns, a dwarf angel, or something. I think I'll skip any plans for a royal gramma -- based on a youtube vid I saw of a RG going after a bicolor blenny.

Thanks for the comments!
"Tonga" blenny usually refers to Atrosalarias fuscus, which is a very different fish. Do some quick searches on those two that I mentioned and see which it is. Ecsenius sp. have a very characteristic face and mouth--they all look that way. Enchelyurus flavipes, on the other hand, does not have that same look at all. It's difficult to describe, but it is very different.

Here's the generalized facial look of an Ecsenius species:

There may be slight variations, like stripes over the eyes, etc. across species, but it is pretty much the same.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Good call on the gramma IMO considering your blenny. When picking out a fish it is important to understand its natural behavior and habitat so you can avoid getting too many fish that want to occupy the same territories (rock, sand bed, water column). This can be done simply by using google. You can often find videos of the fish on a natural reef and you can see how it interacts with its surroundings. If you have a large tank you can get away with more fish sharing the same levels of the tank. IMO understanding this balance will lead to a happier reef tank.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
My blenny is so small and so dark that it's hard for me to get a good look at his features -- maybe as he grows it will become easier....

Think the refractometer and RO/DI came in today -- will try out tonight!

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Refractometer

I calibrated the new refractometer using the fluid and then measured my tank. SG read as 1.026 -- maybe a little on the high side. Refractometer seems pretty easy to use -- just have to avoid breaking it. Here are some pics (2nd is looking through the eye piece):

refractometer1.JPG

refractometer2.JPG

I also got the 5 stage RO/DI, but looks like I need an adapter to hook it up to my sink. Will try to get one today.

refractometer1.JPG refractometer2.JPG

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
I've got my RO/DI unit up-and-running. Here are some pics:

Fitting I got at Home Depot:
IMG_0207.JPG

Unit:
IMG_0208.JPG

Psyched about having no more trips to get water....

I was away for a bit and came back to find a strange brown substance in a feathery pattern on the glass. Decided to clean it off, but I'm curious. Anyone know what this is:
IMG_0234.JPG

I still just have the blenny, shrimp and snails, so my next step will probably be another fish. I've forgotten some of the research / advice so I'll have to go back and review it.

IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0208.JPG IMG_0234.JPG

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Good to see your RO/DI up and running. That will be a big help for you.

I belive what you are seeeing on your glass are snail eggs.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I calibrated the new refractometer using the fluid and then measured my tank. SG read as 1.026 -- maybe a little on the high side. Refractometer seems pretty easy to use -- just have to avoid breaking it. Here are some pics (2nd is looking through the eye piece):

I also got the 5 stage RO/DI, but looks like I need an adapter to hook it up to my sink. Will try to get one today.
I missed this. Be sure the refractometer is calibrated to 35 ppt, not 1.026. 35 ppt should equal a bit over 1.026, not exactly on it, so no, it isn't actually high.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Snail eggs makes sense -- they're gone now though. That's probably for the best, I think, I'm struggling to keep the ones I have going strong, so don't think I need 100's more....

I calibrated the refractometer to 35 ppt, and after that measure the tank SG to be about 1.026. I thought that was too high, but I guess not. Is 35 ppt a good target? I tested just now and it's at 1.024, so if it needs to be higher I can make my next batch of WC water at a higher SG to raise the overall.

According to my log it's been > 2 weeks since I sadly lost my jawfish, so I think I'm ready to add something new -- might stop by some stores on the way home tomorrow....

Thanks for the help, y'all!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
lookin good

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store