Jpappy's CP setups

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Has anyone worked with egg crate (light diffusers) before? I am guessing I will most likely have to cut down to the dimensions I want but I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to do that...power tools are pretty much out of the questions, I will lose a limb. I have read about chiseling with a screwdriver but, again, not sure what the best method would be...

Plants wont be shipping out until next week since I will be out of town later this week. Planning on moving over the other dews/neps once I get the lighting figured out. Keep a look out for more pics!
I've had many projects with using eggcrate and the only way I cut it is with pair of wire cutters. any other way i tried, i get little splinters and shards everywhere.
Yep... I use a large pair of toe clips. No loss of limb or digit and it cuts easy enough.

I've also been experimenting lately (with my house plants) using a base of small pebbles. does the same thing, but also allows more surface area for the water to evaporate and raise the humidity around the plant. Just a thought.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Humidity really isnt an issue. I'm more looking for a way to get the trays a bit closer to the lighting. Normally I put a tray on top of an overturned one but over time the weight warps the bottom one and the top tray becomes uneven.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Just use the egg crate with some PVC pipe underneath to raise it up as high as you want. But keep in mind how tall their flowers might get.
PS. The wire cutters are also called diagonal pliers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Last edited:

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
It sounds great! As for cutting egg crate try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQDepqFLpF4

Go to 8:45 and he shows a very easy way to do it.

By far the coolest turtle tank I've seen in a long time.
Oh and I think I'll stick to my wire cutters...I don't like all the shards flying everywhere, getting stuck in the carpet, underneath everything, etc.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Here's an update. Got and cut the eggcrate today. I ended up using kitchen-grade scissors. Lots of shards but it was quick and easy. I really like the PVC as a base (thanks for the idea Paul!) as it is pretty sturdy but I think the pieces I got are a bit too tall. I may need to adjust the lighting later so the taller plants dont get fried...here's what everything is looking like as of now.

IMG_2658.JPG IMG_2657.JPG

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Nice setup you got there!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
That looks like an awesome set up, dude! I think they have creme for that itching... LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store