Jpappy's planted 20 gallon long "build" thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
That's a decent water reading then (and a good test kit too!). I think I am going to go rimless on my 20 long. I love the size of these tanks but unless you have them fairly high up that rim really messes up the viewing area IMO.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
this may be a dumb question: does the rim add support to the tank? if so, would removing it compromise its strength? just curious because i may wanna remove mine depending

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
this may be a dumb question: does the rim add support to the tank? if so, would removing it compromise its strength? just curious because i may wanna remove mine depending

Yea it holds it together.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
There is no really clear answer about how much support it provides. You can find arguments from both sides of the table but nothing to back it up. I did a lot of research on this and I personal would feel comfortable removing the rim on a 2.5, 5.5, 10, 15 and 20g long, maybe a 20h too. But others remove them on much larger tanks and others still would never do it at all. Glass thickness, age, silicone contact, height and length of tanks are all variables so there are no guarantees. From what I have read though nowadays rims without center braces are used in tank manufacturing for initial stability while the silicone cures, gets their product off the line faster. BUT that is coming from people who say they worked for the aquarium companies not directly from the manufactures lips so take that with a grain of salt. I am willing to take the risk on my 20g long, I've had more water than that on my floor before. :)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ

Yes, and potentially. However, on smaller tanks, it's not as much of a concern, because there's less pressure to deal with. On anything larger than a 20 long (I personally think a 20 high is pretty iffy), I'd leave it as the manufacturer sold it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Larger tanks will often have a middle brace too, so really not a good idea if that is the case.

Really wanting to get some Y. sidthimunki again but was considering RCS and nerites before. Need to make some decisions.

Plan on filling it up today and testing the filters/heater.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Picked up some rocks and plants at the LFS here. Getting anxious for the others to arrive!

Filled it up a bit so the roots are at least wet.

Pictured:
-Anubias barteri 'Coffeefolia'
-Java fern
-Vallisneria (americana? kind of hard to see in the back)

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
Thanks for the info everybody I am going to leave my rim on, a twenty gallon spill in my 530square foot apratment would be bad.
looking good. Nice choice on the Anubias bateri
I g-l-TaroLeaf.jpg Aroids!

g-l-TaroLeaf.jpg

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
:irked: stupid driftwood doesn't want to stay submerged. I'm wondering if the top part sticking out has anything to do with the buoyancy...right now the rocks are weighing it down, but that kind of ruins the 'scape...might have to pick up some slate and glue to the bottom.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Is it too big to boil?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store