Julies - Info and Experiances needed!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Hey all! I think I have decided to replace my 2 firemouths with some julies (not sure which type). I was needing to know of anybodys past experiance and some information that I need to know such as quantity of fish, tank mates, what kind of sutable decor, diet, anything else will be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Mcdaphnia

AC Members
20 long or 29 gallon tanks, if you can find it, lightweight gravel made from lava rock, sponge filters suspended in tank or buried under gravel, hard alkaline water, mid to high seventies, get fry from four or more different breeders, putting one of each in your tanks. When you get a pair, remove the other two. If they pair up in a new tank, keep them. If not, sell them or give them away. Remove fry when they reach about one inch and grow them out in 55's or 75's. Feed fry and adults newly hatched baby brine shrimp, live daphnia, microworms, quality carnivore flake food or earthworm flake food. Make small water changes very frequently, daily if you can. Julies don't like changes in their water, so you need the stability that comes with very frequent, very small water changes. Julies bred brother to sister produce slow growing fry. Julies like to hide their fry in pits, so the lava gravel is light and interlocks, greatly reducing the otherwise frequent collapse of steep walled pits that bury the fry.

Mcdaphnia

AC Members
Decor, live plants if you have enough light on the tank is OK. Pot them up so they are less likely to be dug out. Small inverted clay pot saucers make nice caves. The eggs are hung on the roof usually, or hidden in tight crevices. Chipped ones may be discounted at the store which is fine since you are going to make a chip for a doorway. If it's already chipped, you save work and perhaps money. I usually just pick out all the chipped and broken pots and saucers I can find in the store. If they offer a discount, why thanks, sure! If you have to make your own doorways, soak the clayware for a couple days then saw out a V notch with a hacksaw, or drill a hole in the side of the saucer with a drill bit for concrete. Always watch for color change. This means enough heat is being generated to dry out the clay. If you keep drilling or cutting, the clay will shatter. Chipped is fine, shattered is something to sprinkle in the bottom of a flower pot for a real flower. Just set the hot piece back in the water and move on to another piece. It may take several tries or even a couple days to complete the cuts. Or you can do it fast and be happy with whatever breakage rate you get. They are fairly cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store