Jungle "Tank Buddies" plant tablets

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Anyone know what these are meant to achieve, and whether they are any good? I bought them not looking properly and thought they were a solid fertiliser, but they only say they "release beneficial electrolytes into the water". Vague scientific sounding blurb always rings alarm bells...

http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.phtml?item=TB610 appears to be the product in question - we've only recently started getting Jungle products in the UK to my knowledge.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen that product and wondered about it. How does it provide "CO2"?! The description is indeed vague; it doesn't say it's a fertilizer, just mentions "trace elements" without telling you what they are. I'd assumed they meant plant nutrients, when I saw it in the store.

Jungle is usually pretty good, though--does the packaging provide any other information, in an insert or something?

-- Pat

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Nope. The packaging has even less information than the web page....

Odd.

Anyway - soon see if they're any good. The proof of the pudding...

mchernecki

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Visit site
I bought a package of these tablets a about 2 months ago. They look like an Alka-Seltzer tablet, fizz like one too. I used these tabs for about 3-4 weeks in my 10 Gal and everything was growing good. I have not added any for a month and growth has slowed. Maybe the good growth was from something else. I just popped in another tablet today to see if anything happens. If growth starts up again, then it should be due to the tabs. I will repost with results.

Mike

wetmanNY

AC Members
plop plop fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is...

The fizz is CO2, like Alka-Seltzer's fizz. An expensive and perhaps not a steady way to introduce some CO2.

A daily bottle of low-sodium seltzer water would perk up your plants too.

In general, unidentified "electrolytes" in aquarium additives are code for sodium ions. The sodium bicarbonate in Alka-Seltzer for example, would count as "electrolytes." Any plant nutrients are usually identified as nutrients. The potassium citrate in Alka-Seltzer would permit the labelling note "Contains potassium essential for plant growth."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store