jurupari

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com

they wanted $20. i traded in two severum instead.

i've heard they bloat if fed too much high protein diet. anybody else have one?

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
i have 2 of these chaps. nice fish. i havnt had health problems with mine at all yet. they seem sturdy. they also are fairly timid, mine get pushed around by even the keyholes.

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
yeah i dont think this one is going to claim any territory soon, but in a 125g, there is always someplace to be, where other fish are not.

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
nice, wish i had larger tanks for mine. what else is sharing that 125? also if you like the jurupari be on the lookout at LFS for things marked as jurupari when in fact they are another satanoperca cf. i lucked out and got a leucostica "speckle back" and **** is he a pretty fish. same shape as the jurupari but with iradescent stripes much like a blue acara. check out The Jurupari Project. lots of neat fish there.

angel

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
I have one, but he is just a baby, and I haven't had any problem with him yet. I did put fine gravel in for him to dig in. I will be very interested in hearing other responses to you question, as I would like to know since I am feeding him cichlid pellets, regular flakes, and black worms.

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
i feed mine a large variety of foods and havnt noticed any problem. cichlid gold (which he doesnt like much, nor do any cichlid i have for that matter), color bits, tetramin flake, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, bloodworms, beef heart, krill, mega tropical, tubifex. they eat anything that drops down in the tank even if it isnt meant for them such as the wafers. its funny to watch them pull in a piece of large dry food and kindof suck/chew on it for like 15 min before it goes down. they will even go after the cucumber i weight down for my plecos from time to time.

DHR

AC Members
Feb 25, 2004
New York
Visit site
I have one -- very nice fish! I feed him the normal cichlid fare, with a bit more vegetable matter than you would for most SA cichlids. He's not shy about going for any of it. He's the smallest guy in the tank with an O, 2 Severums, rainbow shark, sailfin pleco, & juvie TSN. He holds his own pretty well.

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
i'd be careful with the tsn. one day its mouth will be almost big enuff. the 2 cats in this tank are both bumblebee cats. not big enuff to eat him. one end of the tank is owned by 2 uaru and the other end is a all day skirmish by 4 copora nicaraguensis.

kzang1976

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
I have one too!!
HE's a great fish - very nonaggressive - he gets picked on by my covict and angel.
He's also very hardy - I've had him for 3 years and he's moved with me three times!
The Jurupari is a Geophagus "earth eater" ... so they will scope sand in their mouth and basically filter out what is eiable.
I just changed the substrate in my tank from 1" cobbles to sand.. he is a much happier fish !!

How to you determine sex for Jurupari .. I just refer to mine as a "he"?

Kim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store