Just attended a beginner's aquarium course...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Samala said:
On another note.. "North America certified instructor"..? He's actually certified to teach classes on fish keeping? This is the first time I've heard of such a thing. What organization gave him that credential? I'm a little skeptical about that but I'm actually more interested than anything. It'd be neat to even attend a class on how you go about instructing people to setup aquariums. Or maybe that's the scuba-diving instructor in me popping up on the aquarium board... ;) Just curious.
Yes he is. :) He's certified through PIJAC Canada to instruct the Freshwater Certification Program. The class I went to last night was a very brief glimpse into the basics of keeping freshwater fish (and was a free service to his customers). He hosts other workshops on marine fishkeeping and discus too. The full freshwater program, though, is an intensive 8-hour workshop and at-home study which is likely followed by an exam. He has instructed a number of people who work within the pet industry.

You can check out PIJAC Canada here: http://www.pijaccanada.com/
And PIJAC US here: http://www.pijac.org

mishi8

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I have a basic (no pun intended) issue with anyone who suggests using buffers such as sodium biphosphate routinely in FW tanks. That is a store-enriching open ended non-solution. Fish are quite pH-adaptable, many even in breeding situations. For those few which are not, buffers are almost never the answer, especially phosphate-based materials.

Otherwise, the topics mentioned are apt and no doubt a service to the community.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
RTR said:
I have a basic (no pun intended) issue with anyone who suggests using buffers such as sodium biphosphate routinely in FW tanks. That is a store-enriching open ended non-solution. Fish are quite pH-adaptable, many even in breeding situations. For those few which are not, buffers are almost never the answer, especially phosphate-based materials.

Otherwise, the topics mentioned are apt and no doubt a service to the community.
I don't agree that this owner's reasoning for lowering pH is to sell more product. He's basing the suggestion on the typical requirements of tropical community fish. He did say that one available water conditioner (which I have to use for my tap water, regardless of pH, GH & KH, to remove chloramine), AquaPlus, does help with maintaining a pH of 7.6, which is an adequate level in which to keep these fish...no additional buffer required. Within the store they use Prime and adjust the water parameters of each tank based on the individual needs of the fish. I believe he is passionate about fish keeping, and very much interested in providing quality customer service. Quite frankly, he also hasn't insisted I buy any particular products in his store. I have bought fish there, because they have excellent stock that is obviously well cared for, and they give sound advice about the qualities and requirements of each fish, but I go elsewhere for basic aquarium products based on price. Unfortunately, I've run into problems with poor advice from the other (chain) store, and have returned various items to exchange for items that better suit my needs.

If I had taken this basic course before my kids got this aquarium, then I would have had a much better grasp about the whole process and which fish would be the best to keep. And, in combination with finding AC, would have likely made the choice to fishless cycle first and taken the time to plan this aquarium thoroughly before jumping in with both feet and my eyes closed. :)

That said, I'm going to take all advice with a grain of salt (non-iodized?! :D) and determine what is best for my aquarium, the fish I plan to eventually keep, and the amount of work I'm willing to put into it.

mishi8

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
I know this isn't quite the same as balancing fish tank water paramaters, but I've had years of experience balancing my pool water parameters. No matter how much you try to drive down the calcium hardness, it always seemed to rebound, so had to learn to work around it. You might get it just right on one given day in time, and then it would be off. When I started to keep fish, I looked at what I had for water, and then looked at what kind of fish would work in it.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I think anyone who suggests you try to maintain lower pH tanks through the use of additives should be treated very skeptically. Adding phosphate based buffers is asking for major pH yo-yo-ing and often leads to big-time algae outbreaks.

I don't care if this guy calls himself Generalissimo and has a diploma in fishkeeping, he's giving you bad advice.

Jim

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
JSchmidt said:
I think anyone who suggests you try to maintain lower pH tanks through the use of additives should be treated very skeptically. Adding phosphate based buffers is asking for major pH yo-yo-ing and often leads to big-time algae outbreaks.

I don't care if this guy calls himself Generalissimo and has a diploma in fishkeeping, he's giving you bad advice.

Jim
Hmmm, didn't I just say that I'm taking all the advice, including his, with a grain of salt? In the end, he's got a good rep here, and I can talk to him in person. I can question him face to face and discuss varying opinions that are out there...and argue with him about it if I think it's worth the time.

I think I need to be even more skeptical when taking advice online from people whom I know virtually nothing about, let alone whether they have years of experience or none at all.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
mishi8 said:
So I've some thinking to do. If we keep goldfish, we can only have two at most in our 10g. These are supposed to be my kids' fish...and we'll need to get at least three to be fair... Eventually I would like a bigger tank (with different substrate!), which would give us a more stable environment and more choices for species, but I need to get this tank stable and established first.
Unless the bigger tank is imminent (not eventually), a 10 gallon isn't really even big enough for 1 goldfish.

gsk177

AC Members
Feb 12, 2003
Sevierville, TN
Visit site
I think your best course of action before taking ANYONE's advice is comparing their answers and recommendations with information you gather on your own through research.

Any lifelong hobbiest can give a piece of bad advice and any novice hobbiest can give a piece of good advice. The key is to not just take someones word for it just because they are trusted or says they are this or that. Anyone, be it online or a trusted LFS owner is capable of offering bad advice.

I don't think the people here are necessarily saying this guy is a quack or anything. BUT, if he indeed did advise you to use a checmical pH buffer he is WAAAY off. That doesn't mean that you should ignore every piece of advice this guy may give you in the furtute, and you've already stated that you are taking his advice with a grain of salt. You should take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. Online or in person, everyone is capable of giving bad advice.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
kveeti said:
Unless the bigger tank is imminent (not eventually), a 10 gallon isn't really even big enough for 1 goldfish.
Yeah, I know. :) I don't want to keep goldfish anyway. And a 10g is nowhere near big enough for cichlids either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store