just got a 40 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cassiesmith 336@gmail.com

Registered Member
Nov 16, 2015
Looking for ideas on what to put in it like plants fish I have my filter and light and bubbler still have to buy gravel . If im missing anything eals let me know thanks

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
You will want to get a heater probably. Have you stocked it yet? Hopefully not, you will need to cycle the tank first. There are plenty of articles on cycling on the site. What are you planning to add?

Reactions: rufioman

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Just realized you can "like" posts....oh, dear.

You want to get the tank cycled, first. Here is a quick list of things you need to do:

Cycle the tank. Fishless takes a while, but is effective. Seeding with someone else's filter media or sand is super easy and relatively fast to do.

Make sure the tank is cycled. Do not rush stocking the tank with livestock....trust me.

....is your tank cycled?

Good!

1. Get a heater and choose stock. Is the tank a 40 breeder? I will continue as though it IS. 40 breeders are wide, and have a rectangular look to them. They can house most of your basic schoolers and fish that stay within the 1-3" range. Having said that, there are also species, room, water quality, water parameter, and tons of other variables to contemplate when stocking your tank. Trust me, you will rehome and/or kill a ton of fish if you do not do your research. Just because someone or aqadvisor says your stock is okay does NOT mean it necessarily is. Don't put African cichlids with turtles in a 40g, or do something like a red bellied pacu.
2. Should be number one, but get a liquid test kit by API or suitable. Fantastic device for measuring your water quality, which is a must.
3. I would recommend sand for your tank, depending on stock, but gravel is also fine. Sand is IMO easier to clean and more natural for your fish. I do, however, use rounded stones in my large display tank for aesthetics, along with play sand. Pool filter sand is fantastic stuff, and does not need as thorough a cleaning before installing in the tank.
4. Easy plants that are fun to look at are anubias and swords. I have broad leaf anubias, moss balls of sorts, and Amazon swords in my 40g low tech planted, and they do just fine with stock lighting and sand.
5. Don't put on lotion or antibacterial sanitizing product before cleaning or going in the tank. It'll kill everyone. Someone here lost a whole tank because of it.

I know it's a lot of info, and I just got off work, but I want to help you do this right.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
3. I would recommend sand for your tank, depending on stock, but gravel is also fine. Sand is IMO easier to clean and more natural for your fish. I do, however, use rounded stones in my large display tank for aesthetics, along with play sand. Pool filter sand is fantastic stuff, and does not need as thorough a cleaning before installing in the tank.
Regarding the sand/gravel thing, I decided on gravel and kind of regret it. It's a nice natural kind, but it's very coarse and becomes a bit difficult to clean. Various little bits of crud fall between pieces and don't come out easily. I don't know, but I suspect that would be less of a problem with smaller gravel.
Brian

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
There's no special filter required for sand. I just can't see it working well if you had an undergravel filter. I loved my sand gravel mix for ease to clean and the appearance

Cassiesmith 336@gmail.com

Registered Member
Nov 16, 2015
I was thinking about getting a minny lobster to go it my tank but After reading about them i think i will have to wate till i get a small 10 gallon so it can have a home to its self so my fish dont get eat

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
just remember with a couple snails will come tons of babies

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site