Just saw Glo Barbs at local big box!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I have seen the glo-tetras, as well as the barbs. I think it looks good, but then that's just my opinion. I have a few pink danios, They make my tank brighter. I would love to get ahold of a glo-pleco. That would be awesome, as well as glo cories.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I sawr these, too....can't believe people actually buy those things.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
Tacky.. who over the age of 8 would want fish like that? I would think most of us keep aquariums because we appreciate the natural beauty of aquatic species .. not to make a mockery of it with these franekfish..=P

Last edited:

phish4brains

AC Members
May 14, 2012
The Poconos, PA
Real Name
Josh
I agree! Could not picture one in my tanks. Would throw off the natural balance of beauty that so many of us strive to achieve! Aside from that, they wanted 10 bucks for one.....rediculous!!!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
When the glofish were first introduced, I didn't think much of them. Manufacturing fish that glow felt bizarre, and given the variety of lovely natural fish, why spend that kind of money?

But the 5 yo loves them. So we bought some, 2 summers ago. They spent the 1st summer in a tub out back. No filter. Random water changes. Floating plants, fed when the kids asked if they could feed them. And the fish thrived. Brought them in for the winter, and they've been inside ever since, with plans under way to move them to the youngests bedroom. Those are her fish. She loves them. She gets to feed them, she looks for friends for them, she wants to know more about fish and more about aquariums and more about science (although she doesn't know that's what she's learning) as a result.

The glofish are healthy, active swimmers. Any tank with them is going to pop. Are they 'natural looking'? No. But then, neither is a tank with altum angels and albino cories. Or hillstream loaches and apistogrammas. As much as people strive to say they create a 'natural' tank, at the end of the day it's a glass box with animals and plants and objects that may or more likely do not encounter each other in the wild. If you don't think it's attractive, don't buy them. So long as the fish are healthy and able to behave normally, I don't see the problem. Breeding fish to be heart shaped or tattooing them is a far uglier practice than making them 'glow'.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
I've got to say that while they are not my cup of tea, I can see how people would be attracted. And it is less invasive than the various "dyed" fish that are out there. If my son or daughter wanted a tank ofthier own with them, I wouldn't put my foot down and say no, but I wouldn't steer them in that direction either.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
When the glofish were first introduced, I didn't think much of them. Manufacturing fish that glow felt bizarre, and given the variety of lovely natural fish, why spend that kind of money?

But the 5 yo loves them. So we bought some, 2 summers ago. They spent the 1st summer in a tub out back. No filter. Random water changes. Floating plants, fed when the kids asked if they could feed them. And the fish thrived. Brought them in for the winter, and they've been inside ever since, with plans under way to move them to the youngests bedroom. Those are her fish. She loves them. She gets to feed them, she looks for friends for them, she wants to know more about fish and more about aquariums and more about science (although she doesn't know that's what she's learning) as a result.

The glofish are healthy, active swimmers. Any tank with them is going to pop. Are they 'natural looking'? No. But then, neither is a tank with altum angels and albino cories. Or hillstream loaches and apistogrammas. As much as people strive to say they create a 'natural' tank, at the end of the day it's a glass box with animals and plants and objects that may or more likely do not encounter each other in the wild. If you don't think it's attractive, don't buy them. So long as the fish are healthy and able to behave normally, I don't see the problem. Breeding fish to be heart shaped or tattooing them is a far uglier practice than making them 'glow'.
I never said it was morally wrong to buy or like them (unlike dyed fish). I just don't think most adults would want them, they seem to be for kids, which is fine. I think that pirate skulls and other goofy tank decor is tacky too, it's a matter of personal preference I guess. I'm more of a natural tank guy, even if yes it's still a bunch of plants, rocks, and wood in a glass box, as you put it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store