Just sharing my battle with hair algae!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Against hair algae, i personally found Amano shrimp worked best for me... but i do agree with others when they say, try not to overdose on the Excel (liquid Co2) since i've lost some shrimp to overdosing in the past...

Also, if you want to use it against the hair algae alone, one way you can do it is to get a syringe and measure out the correct amount for your tank size, and then using the syringe, release the excel directly above the hair algae (over a few days using the correct dosage) and withing about a week or so, most of the areas you spray should disappear...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Tank looks beautiful FFM!

For what ever reason, you don't see ram's horn snails often in my area. My little 10g is loaded with bladder snails from some anacharis I put in there a year ago. The anacharis is long gone, but the bladder snails not so much. I've got 7 big golden mystery snails in there too from a batch I had hatch in my 20L. Between them and all the RCS and ghosties I've got in there, there's very little algae aside from some stubborn stuff that collects on the glass from time to time:

Esoxluciousss

AC Members
Mar 25, 2013
cut down the light hours, put two bn catfish in there, babies. They will much through it and add floating plants.. had the same problem before,,,all eaten in a week..

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
cut down the light hours, put two bn catfish in there, babies. They will much through it and add floating plants.. had the same problem before,,,all eaten in a week..
BN's eating hair algae???

I wouldn't get BN's for that reason, as they tend to leave hair algae alone.

I do believe the OP found that Ramshorn snails will munch hair algae.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks guys for the kind words. Freshly, your tank is awesome!

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I've never had luck with my ramshorns eating hair algae. I'm thinking the liquid CO2 may have kicked in. It can take awhile for it to work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store