Just wondering, would a 20 gallon high aquarim be enough for one or two discus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
you don't have to change water five times a week in discus tank. you can if you want, but once a week is fine.
This is way to general a statement. Alot depends on two things, stocking level and age of the discus. As said, young juvenile discus need to be fed 4-6 times a day for optimal growth. Such a heavy feeding schedule makes it neccesary to change the water at least once a day. Full grown adults can surfice with being fed twice a day and every other day on the water changes. That is unless you are trying to get them into breeding condition, and then back to the dialy water changes. 10 gallons per fish is the rule of thumb for adults, more is just a plus. 5 fish minimum to spread the aggresion, and only put two in a tank if they are a breeding pair. There are people that use 20 gallon tanks succesfully for breeding, me I prefer the 29 gallon tanks.

stevezx2002

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Hartford City, IN
I have had success with mating discus in a 20 or better. Got to have clean water. I change mine at least once a week depending if I have gravel and live plants etc. I vary my food from blood worms and flakes two to three times a day sometimes beefheart. Yes, they do better in schools 4 or better and bigger the tank the better, I have 6 in my 55 and they do very well sometime a couple more.
You Realize this thread is 5 Years old, right???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store