Keeping Color

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

macfacker

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
Also agree with Inka

Color-enhancing foods can accentuate colors that are present, but otherwise subdued, but only to a limited degree. Sometimes dull orange goldfish can be "reddened up" with algae supplements or parboiled vegetables, such as peas. However, a side effect of color enhancing foods is color shifting on multicolored goldfish. White areas on ranchus or sarassas can turn orange & the Black on Moors has been know to disappear altogether into Red.
The most effective way to enhance existing colors in goldfish — whether it is red in ranchus or black in moors — is to place them in a sunny outdoor pond. The combination of stable water quality, several hours of sunlight, and natural foods — algae, worms, insects, etc. — will bring out colors in your fish like nothing you can imagine.

euglossa

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
great discussion, thank you!

So for now I'll continue to hand feed the color food exclusively to the orange fish once or twice a week.

Now I wish I wanted a pond.

Ellen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store