KH GH and Salt? Help needed from chem gurus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

illiswiller

Prevention - the best medicine!
Jan 11, 2005
GH increase b/c of Salt? Anyone?

OK - let me try again:

My GH went sky high recently from 50-75 to over 200 ppm.
Could salt have caused this? I'm treating the tank w/ 1 tsp/gallon.

Or could it be the aragonite that I put in the filter to raise the KH?? However the KH hasn't risen this whole time and is still at 20-40 ppm.

???? HELP - anyone?

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What kind of salt did you use? Aragonite will increase KH, but only in low pH--otherwise, yes, it can increase hardness.

illiswiller

Jan 11, 2005
Thanks guys - I used Jungle freshwater aquarium salt and Non-iodized Morton. My pH is 7.0 w/o the CO2 turned on.

So why did only the GH increase and not KH with the aragonite?

Is my water chemistry completely messed up?

I'll try to get a TDS kit this weekend....

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Perhaps your tank is burning out the KH through normal nitrification. The GH is not affected by that, so remains. Is your stocking density high? Do you do substantial water changes?

illiswiller

Jan 11, 2005
Thanks RTR
Nope - I'm pretty confident I'm understocked. It's 42 gallons and has 2 young angels, 2 dwarf gouramis, 4 danios, 8 cardinals and 2 cories. I'm waiting to stablize the pH/KH to get a pair of rams.

Since it cycled my nitrites have never left 0 - and I do a weekly water change between 10-20%. The tap doesn't even register KH when it comes out at the sink. The first drop turns color. I have never been able to get it up. Its frustrating b/c I need CO2 for the plants but can't get the KH up.

Don't know why the GH is so high now - must be the aragonite.

Any suggestions?

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
It is the aragonite. Aragonite is Calcium carbonate (CaCO3). There will be plenty of dissociation naturally occurring at pH 7.0. With nitrification lowering pH, and therefore consuming CO3-- for all intents and purposes, there is an increased forcing on the equilibrium:
CaCO3 <-> Ca(2+) + CO3(2-)

By consuming CO3(2-) the above equilibrium is pulled to the right slightly. Ca(2+) contributes to GH.

Adding CO2 will further contribute via the following reaction:
CO2 + CO3(2-) + H2O -> 2HCO3-

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store