Khemul's 40B

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
They act separate, but I'm not sure if that is normal behavior or if something is wrong with the yellow one. The yellow one just sits on the sand in a specific spot all the time. It responds to stimuli around it but doesn't go beyond that little corner of the glass, along the sand. I do see a green one occasionally sitting next to him, but no harm seems to come of it. Not sure if it is normal for them or if this one was too far gone. It doesn't act sick or dying though. Just like it has no reason to move.

The greens are all over the tank and interacting a lot though.
Sounds normal for the yellow's I always thought the other types were the same way, yellow stays perched in the rock only coming out for food.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Sounds normal for the yellow's I always thought the other types were the same way, yellow stays perched in the rock only coming out for food.
Guess I'll just have to see how they develop. I suspect the greens are active as sort of a 'new fish syndrome'. They are all hungry and staking out territory. Once they get well fed and established they'll probably be less active. The nice thing though is that the rockwork here is out in the open so even if they perch all the time, they'll be visible.

The yellow one I'll just have to keep an eye on. If it were a land animal I'd suspect it were blind, since it isn't taking any notice of it's environment when resting. Otherwise it's behavior is normal, but I've never seen a saltwater fish rest right out in plain view on the sand bed (especially not a bite-sized snack by salty standards :laugh:) full time. It seems to have no interest in going near rocks. But it is surviving. It did the same thing in the refugium of the 120. It would rest on the heaters rather then going into the algae or rock rumble.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Well sitting direct on the sand does sound a little odd, mine does sit out exposed on the rock but can quickly shoot deeper inside it if need be. Sure the green ones aren't chasing it away from the rock work?

If I can ever find a black one locally I'll try adding a second to my 29g, everyone just has yellows around here.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Well sitting direct on the sand does sound a little odd, mine does sit out exposed on the rock but can quickly shoot deeper inside it if need be. Sure the green ones aren't chasing it away from the rock work?
Nah, it and one of the greens were the first ones in. They didn't even notice each other. The yellow one has done it since I got it. Just lounges in the most open area it can find in the tank (heaters in the refugium of the 120, sandbed in the 40). The other two greens were added days later. I do see them sitting next to the yellow one every once and a while, but never see a fight.

Will just have to keep an eye on him I guess. I'm just hoping it isn't starved to the point where it no longer has an interest in recovery.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Mine eats like a pig, mysis, brine, just about any frozen food along with omega one flakes and will squabble with the clownfish 3x his size over food. Hopfully yours pulls through ok.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Awesome tank. I have not seen those saltwater goldfish anywhere. And I love that little piece of kenya tree. I think that or a leather toadstool will be my next coral

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Looks like it was starvation with the yellow Clown Goby. Found it dead this morning. :irked:
That was my mistake though. Didn't think to take a close look at condition on the fish when I got it. The green Gobies seem to be going for any food in the tank so hopefully they'll do better.

On the odd side of things. How's this for it. Of the rock kept vs the rock traded away. The rock traded away appears to have held just about the entire bristleworm population (at least that which wasn't nuked in the refugium...which was quite substantial...still don't want to reach in there to clean it :yuck:). The rock kept appears to have held just about the entire starfish population. The new tank is crawling with starfish. Feed the tank and the rocks sprout arms. I've seen only one bristleworm.

So far everything else is doing very good. The new Toadstools are settling in quite nicely and the large one has already grown about a quarter inch taller. The Xenia seem quite happy too. And now this tank is set to become an invasive time-bomb... :laugh:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
I had always heard of Pistol Shrimp creating doors on their burrows, but not Sleeper Gobies. :laugh:

My Sand Sifter has decided he wants privacy in the new tank. Now when he leaves his burrow he finds the nearest objects (rocks, macro algae, unsuspecting snails :uhoh:) to create a 'door' for his tunnel. It can be quite amusing watching a poor helpless snail get lifted to about 7-8" above the sand, then spit out. The fish has pretty good aim too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store