Khemul's 40B

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
King of the hill!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Ah, prototypes...
uploadfromtaptalk1366258705925.jpg

Well, it was supposed to be the first half of the upcoming upgrade. Not sure if it needs the other half... on paper, yes.

6 neutral whites, 8 royal blues. And a led purple+ strip is born. All spread across a 48" long 1.4" heatsink. 50% power already seems high. Guess I'll see how the corals respond. Everything I've read says I should need a second strip.

And yes, the tank is a mess of equipment... :p

My eyes hurt now. Think I may need to add on something to cut down on the light spillage.

uploadfromtaptalk1366258705925.jpg

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Well, it's only been one night, but the Yellow Toadstool is loving it. That one was starting to go downhill (I think the T5 just was just barely falling short for it). The various Zoanthids and Palys seem to be extending a bit more (didn't realize before that the ones under the Yellow Toadstool were green...always looked brown before). The GSP and Pipe Organ are glowing.

So, plan B for the LEDs. Rather then build a second strip for coverage, I'm just going to fill the gaps in this one with 4 more RB and a second driver (which will allow me to split the whites and blues unto their own channels). Then it is just a matter of tank shuffling. Lots and lots of tank shuffling... :evil_lol:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You don't need a second strip.

Congrats on putting it together.

If those corals have never been under LED and you have a dimmable driver, start low (30%ish) and work your way up.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Yeah, I'm at 55% right now and slowly moving up. Probably should have started lower, but lower seemed dim visually (granted my eyes were burning so it probably wasn't) .

I originally figured I'd need the 24 since this fixture isn't meant for the 40. It's meant for a 75, with the 40 being the testbed. But yeah, based on the results, a single strip of 18 should work. It may not grow SPS, but it'll definately support the whole range of softies, macro and maybe LPS. Still need to figure out some way to do the exterior and mount it now. Might just hang it. Or find an old T5 to gut (shame the 3ft one is dying and the 4ft one is spoken for for the new 125, the reverse would have worked perfectly...).

And since we (finally! after 3 months of extensions) closed on the house...everything now moves ahead. :D

Last edited:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Should have the led project done tomorrow. Broke a white so that channel is down until replacements arrive. Blue channel still works though and the leathers look VERY happy. Final layout will be 12 rb, 2 cw and 6 nw. Which may actually be overkill.

Realized the Fiji wasn't shrinking. It was growing under the T5's. Not sure why it never expanded fully, or looked so dark though. Under the T5 + blue leds it expands nice and big, and is back to it's original light yellow coloring. The stubby leather too went from vertical growth to cuping outwards, and also has a better color. The Kenyas are less happy, but they coped and decided to go for an early shedding (which may be enhanced growth long-term).

A few more days on the new house and we should be ready to move. Then the real fun starts. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store