Kiddie Pool and Stock Tank Ponds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
UPDATE:

The time has come and I'm preparing fish. The temps will stay in the 80s during the day and 60s at night, the pools hold in the low 70s. So tonight I prepared the first groups of fish that will go out tomorrow. Group #1 Orchard Endlers-8 huge females and 4 exceptional males, including one Blond, Same with Black Bar Endlers. Both groups have been hanging out in their own 5gal container with 2gal of water and 1TBS of solar salt. In the morning each group will get a 1/2 dose of Quick Cure and by 5:00 p.m. will be acclimated and placed in their pools. They will be joined by 6-8 female / 4 male Least Killies. If all goes well, in the next4-6 days each group's female population will be doubled and 2 more of each male will be added. With those numbers, each group should produce between 160-300 fry in the first 30-40 days. Keep in mind by late July those female Endler fry will start to drop their own young. Later this week I'll start the same process with the Blond Orchard Endlers with the release planned for Thursday. Thursday will also be the day I release the two groups of Cory Cats 12 Paleatus in one pool, 12 Aneus in another. I know they will grow enough to breed and my hope is that the leaf littler will allow some fry to survive. The pool with the Blond Endlers will be joined by 2 marble crayfish and approximately 12 RCS. The pools all have snails the first two ramshorn and the pool for the Blond Endlers and Crayfish pond snails. The crayfsh eat snails, so three weeks ago I loaded that pool with 125-150 pond snails. Considering the crayfish pool is 9' x 6' wide x 24" deep the pond snails should be able to sustain their population without a problem. The crayfish and snails will be able to feed on tons of leaf litter and algae as well.

Providing the water quality holds, I'll start introducing brooder swordtails and platys into the breeding traps this weekend. I'll start with 8 females at a time and add more every 4-6 days depending on weather. Only female swords and platys will be placed outside as they are all pre-hit and ready to produce fry. I hope to get at least 800-1,100 fry from the swords and 400-600 from the platys. Male swords and platys will be maintained indoors and in July I plan to rotate the females indoors for a week for additional mating. All the pools contain tree frog tadpoles and I've been thinning down their numbers to feed the Belonasox fry.

I have two Vats 125gal-175gal and another 6'x6'x12" deep pool to use as grow out tanks. Next week I'll also add a hard plastic pool and place 25-30 cull female Endlers and continue to put culled female fish in it as they become available. I'll also add a bunch of culled males as they only get 1/3 the size of female Endlers and will be on the menu at some point. In late July, early August, I'll take a batch of Belonasox fry and put them in the cull pool. The Belonasox say 30-35 of them should consumer 125 or more small Endlers daily along with mosquito larva and other bugs. My hope is to raise enough of theseto get them circulated to real fish folks and keep the line going.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Quick Update:

I stocked P1-1 with Orchard Endlers 16f / 7m. Least Killies 2f/ 3m. I stocked P-1-2 with Black Bar Endlers 17f / 9m. Tomorrow - Monday will be a major stocking days so here is the line up. 4 Blond Endler Females each P-1 pool. Corys-Paleatus P-1-1, Anues P-1-2. In breeder traps Sword test group (Pineapple Tux and Marigold 4 females P-1-1, Platy test group 6 females in P-1-2. Mixed Endlers 15f / 8m P-2 these will be a mix of black bars, orchards, chilli females with pure line males.

If all goes well, the rest of the Pineapples, marigolds and RREA sword will go in P-1-2 on Tuesday or Wed. Same thing, different pool P-1-2 with the Platys. That will officially kick off the outdoor breeding season and I'll soon know if swords and platys are a good idea.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Just be aware that platys and swords could potentially cross breed, so they would best be sepperated unless it is just grow out. Those two would not have that risk mixed with guppies/mollies/endlers.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Got that covered SnakeIce. Each color of sword and platy have their own large breeder trap-Rubbermade clear tote 40"+ x 18"x24"-with holes drilled forming a mesh type wall and bottom. Adults can not escape and fry can get out. As an extra precaution, swords and platys will never be in the same pools so even the fry can not interbreed. All female brooders are pre-hit, so there are no males in the pool period.

I appreciate the heads up and hope somebody else may learn from reading it.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
The Black Bars and Orchards have produced fry in their respective pools. Here we go!!!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Update:

Platy and Sword test fish in breeder traps are doing fine. I'll start adding additional fish tomorrow.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
UPDATE:

P-1-1 Orchardsare breeding 2-3 batches of fry so far. Paleatus cats doing fine. 8 Platys in the trap no fry yet. 2 trios Least Killies added.

P-1-2 Black Bars breeding 3-4 large batches of fry. 2 trios Least Killies will be adding another 6 females. Anues cats very active. 8 Female Swords in trap will add another 6 and then another trap with 14 more.

P-2 10 female and 5-6 male Least Killies with some fry being prodced. 2 marble crayfish each has their own turff on opposite ends of the pool. Just added 8-10 female, 4 male and a bunch of Orchard Endler fry. This pools main function will be to grow out Swords when the time is right.

Vat-1 Large group of Chilli Endlers and 2 trios Least Killies. I will be adding Paleatus Cats.

Vat-2 Added some mixed Endlers to produce food for Belonasox. Eventually this will be used as grow out.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
UPDATE - SORRY LONG OVER DUE

All the pools are stocked and have been since the end of May. Here is what has happened so far:

Pool-1-1 The Orchard Endlers took off with a vengence. There are now between 250-300 fry hanging out with the adults. The Platys are just starting to produce and I have seen a dozen or so. Not the production I hoped for, but hopefully they will get going now. The LKs are reporducing and I have a quick count of 10 fry. The Paleatus Cats are doing well, not reporduction.

Pool-1-2 The Black Bars are producing and a quick count is around 150-200 fry. The Swords don't appear to be producing and I'm not sure why. There are tons of Black Bar fry swimming in and out of the trap, so the adults are not eating fry. I hope I'm just missing them. The LKs are producing and a quick count was 20 fry. The Anues Cats are fine, no reporduction to report.

Pool-2 The LKs have produced around 40 fry and seem to be on a roll. The Orchards are producing fry, say 35-40. The crayfish, well their down there somewhere.

Vat-1 The Chilli Endlers are reporducing and even though they started late there appears to be 50 fry. The LKs have been very active and have 20-30 fry.

Vat-2 The Endlers are reproducing slowly. There are at least 60 fish in the vat, I started with less than 20.

This year the frogs were back in larger numbers. The tadpoles have become an issue due to over population. My Jacks and Belonasox are feasting on tadpoles.

Pools -6-14 II.JPG Pool 6-14.JPG

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Very interesting idea. Alas, here it's already hitting 111 and maybe cooling into the high 80s overnight. I'd be afraid the fish would cook unless I could rig up a shade that would withstand the regular high winds.

What exactly do you do with all the fish? Do independent LFSs buy them?

I also have a Labrador puppy.... He wouldn't resist jumping in a kiddie pool pond!

briggadane

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
Lakewood Ohio
www.briggadane.com
Interesting thread. I had the same idea, but put the pool in the sunroom off the garage. It's been going for about a month now. Temps in the 80s during the day, 60's at night. Average is 70's. The pool is planted. I have about 12 adult and juvenile Plecos, no sign of young yet. It has full red mixed with RREA red guppies. In 2 traps I keep blue guppies. The fry mix with the reds, but are easy to separate. About 50 fry so far. Also one adult male and about 6 juvie platy. I keep an air stone and 2 sponge filters in it. Its really fun to watch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store