Kids came home with two 'carnival comets'...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
They would love to be in that pond. Maybe it would be a good lesson in responsibility if you showed a picture of comet adult size and ask what they thing the fish, as a living being, would want.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Couldn't you explain to the wife the suffering this will cause the fish and how much healthier and happier they'd be in a pond? I understand the kids not wanting to get rid of them, but they're kids... She should prob be able to rationalize it once you give her your expert opinions no?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I appreciate the insight for sure. Rationale? My darling bride?! LOL! (I say all shifty-eyed... looking over shoulder)

It is $1/gal sale again at Petco, but yeah, still not ideal.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Have been doing daily fin-level water changes for these tiny guys (2g bowl) since day one and feeding extremely lightly. Right from the get-go, one of the two ( a pale, not so healthy looking silver/grey colored comet) didn't look or act healthy. He passed away some time last night and went the way of the porcelain swirl water park. Swim on little guy... Swim on.

Like said, the way these poor buggers are 'manufactured', kept and sold, it's no wonder.

The remaining orange comet is a real happy, active and colorful bugger.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
For about 2 weeks now, the orange comet has had a 20L to himself. I re-homed the original inhabitants of my 20L and gave it to the comet. Still inadequate I know, but a lot better than a 2gal, filter-less bowl for now.

QuietDusk

AC Members
Jun 22, 2011
Central AZ
It's hard being forced to rescue goldfish when you know that you can't provide them with what you'd like to. At least you're aware of the little guy's needs so you can be more on top of water quality, etc.
My husband always cracks jokes about our carnival rescue, Louie. He says there is no other 29 cent fish in the world that has had as much money spend on him. lol. I do what I can.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's been about 3 months and "Goldie" is about 3". It's a very vibrant, lively, happy goldfish.. for now. LOL

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
*looks at your signature*

I wonder when the 2nd like will read '55g Unplanted goldfish tank'

:)

Good luck man!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
*looks at your signature*

I wonder when the 2nd like will read '55g Unplanted goldfish tank'

:)

Good luck man!

LOL.. a few months back, I actually gave away the original inhabitants of the 20L to make room for the goldfish. Some neons, blood-fin tetras, emerald corys and a honey gourami. A bit bored with them and had no attachment. Posted them on a busy Facebook local aquarium group.. Gone in a day or two.

I've got too much that I like in my 55!

*fixing signature*

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You're gonna need another tank :)

if you were close there's a 50B in the garage that needs resealing, you'd be welcome to it.

*enables*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store