Knifefish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kody1192

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
haha clown knifes get 24" ya right more like 40" i cant belive how old this post is haha

ryknier

just tryin to make it fun
Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
I know I am bringing back an old post but my knife fish died the other day! Very sad, he was 10 inches long! By far my most coolest fish!

boomerjr91

I see you!
Apr 8, 2007
Horseheads, NY
sorry to hear that. I'm definately interested in getting one after reading all these posts.

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Any idea what caused it?

My BGK is a little over 8 inches now.

Anything I should watch for or be careful of?

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
The whole tank died minutes after doing a 10% change. Temp was not the issue. Still don't have a clue, we brought a sample of water to the pet store and had them test the water, everything was normal. All I know I was very upset.

We live here in the country, I am assuming because our well is very shallow, it could be a chemical that nothing is tested for in a water test kit, like a pesticide from the farms around us or something.

But right now the tank is housing a turtle. Until we move(in a few months) I am getting ready for my next tank setup with a BGK

Have you guys noticed, but I have been at petsmart(pets mart) they always have a knife fish of some sort. And I have been finding them more and more in stores! And its not because I have had one. When I got mine, I had to special order it.

Gwenkat

AC Members
Sep 24, 2007
South Carolina
Wow, what a thread. My tank is almost ready for fish and I will be getting a BGK. I was planning on that long before I found this thread, but boy have I learned a lot from this. Just reconfirms my choice of fish. I will also have a sev and moonlight gouramis in with him. I have a 125gal. Stocking will be
1 bgk
2 sev
4 moonlight gouramis
1 paradise fish
1 pleco
9 rasboras (maybe, unless the bgk thinks they are food, then they will stay where they are in the 60)

Great thread!

Sorry for your loss Ryknier. I feel like I knew your bgk just from your posts..... Hope you get another.

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
No kidding what a thread, I was trying to see if I have ever put my final decision of fish in here but got tired after looking after the 4th page!

What I had:

1 BGK
2 Moonlight Gouramis
2 Clown Loaches
1 Pleco
1 Green Severum
4 Giant Danios
4 Zebra Danios

yours looks great Gwenkat

The setup was awesome

The BGK didn't hide all the time, clown hid more then the BGK, the Danios dominated the top of the tank, moonlights were mid tank, severum was everywhere, and the loaches and BGK were bottom but on occasion loaches would be all over the tank, definitely need them in pairs

Ended up with 1 Fluval 404, very very nice system, canister filter was VERY quiet, the bubble curtain was louder then the filter. Found a nice stump from our local marsh here, and cleaned it up the way a post somewhere on this site said, below is a picture my tank, with the severum and my dog looking at each other

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store