Koi angelfish problem...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rainstorm~

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
I have 2 Koi angelfish, and they seem to be kissing, but I think it is a form of fighting...
Anyways, the smaller angelfish looks like its jaw is dislocated, because it isn't closing properly.
Obviously, I can not fix this, but I would like to know what they are doing, and what I can to to prevent it.
Thanks!
EDIT::
I only have 2 Angels in there.. But when they are doing this it looks like they are latching onto each-other's top or bottom jaw, and the bigger one kind of pulled out the top of its jaw making it look inflamed or hurt. I am not sure what really is happening because they used to be at the front of the tank all of the time waiting for food, not doing this at all, but the smaller one is hiding now. And that used to rarely happen....

Last edited:

theicequeen

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
new york
Yeah they are fighting. I had the same problem in my angel tank. I had 5 angels then 4 of them paired up in 2 pairs and they killed the 5th one that way. Do you have any other angels in there or is it just the 2? If 2 have paired up and are getting ready to lay eggs they will fight off any others in the tank. One of my pairs laid eggs tonight and have the other 2 pushed into the corner of the tank.

Rainstorm~

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
Nope, I only have 2 in there.. But when they are doing this it looks like they are latching onto each-other's top or bottom jaw, and the bigger one kind of pulled out the top of its jaw making it look inflamed or hurt. I am not sure what really is happening because they used to be at the front of the tank all of the time waiting for food, not doing this at all, but the smaller one is hiding now. And that used to rarely happen....

theicequeen

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
new york
I would seperate them if it continues. If you can't do that then add alot more plants so they can at least have a hiding spot. What size tank is it?

theicequeen

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
new york
when they get full grown you should consider a bigger tank for them. The stress alone being in a small tank isn't good for them and they will probably keep fighting because there isnt much room for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store