Koi Angels are breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chunkoblue

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
Glenwood, IL
So I just got home and my female koi angel is much thinner and the male is fertilizing them now as I type this. The eggs are deposited on the filter intake tube, so I turned of the filter (just until he finishes fertilizing) as not to suck up all the sperm. I find this interesting because I've heard that if one individual of the pair dies they usually do not breed again. Her first partner perished a year ago and the male I have now was introduced afterwards.
I'm not really expecting any to survive... The tank is 90 gallons, but with 10 Buenos Aires tetras, 4 platties, and 3 other angels the eggs will probably be eaten up. If I were to remove the eggs and allow them to hatch, do you think they could survive after being reintroduced? I have a lot of hornwort growing and three very large pieces of driftwood. I am not experienced with hatching brine shrimp, but was thinking there might be enough food for them to pick off of the plants.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
I do not think you need to turn the filter off!
I would add a sponge on the intake and relax and see what color the eggs get, if they are white, you have nothing to worry about.
Keep us posted, good luck!

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Congrats on them breeding!

As far as reintroducing the fry to the tank...I wouldn't. They will get devoured in a hurry and they need to be fed live baby brine shrimp atleast 4-6 times per day to grow properly.

They eggs will stay clear if they are fertile and turn fuzzy white if they are not fertile.

Hope this helps!

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Take the eggs out and put them in a small tank(like a 10 gal) add recommended dosage of methaline blue, keep the heat consistent with the old tank, and set up an airstone with a regulator valve to very gently allow bubbles to cascade over them(you will have to prop the eggs up so they are facing down so the bubbles roll up across them.) obviously you will have to take the intake tube off while you do this to not disturb the eggs. Cover the tank so there is little to no light and wait about 4 days, you should see the eggs develop into wrigglers. Go buy those super cheap 2liter bottle brine shrim hatching kits and start the brew about 48-72 hrs before the expected hatching date of the angels. Feed them the live baby brine for the first week or so then you can switch to Rotifers then onto blood worms flake etc.
Then keep or sell what you hatch.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Btw, they only turn fuzzy white because of fungus, that's what the methaline blue and air bubbles are for when artificially incubating them.

chunkoblue

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
Glenwood, IL
Sorry I forgot to get back to you all on the subject. My pleco ended up scarfing down the eggs shortly after i posted this thread. My breeding pair now seem to just hang out and hide under some driftwood that I have. is this normal after such an event? They do come out to eat, so I am not worried too much about them.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
They will probably spawn again in a couple weeks or so.

I wish my pair would get on and spawn, the female gets real fat, they dance around each other, clean off a leaf, then the female appears disinterested and the male tears her to pieces. They then settle down and go through it again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store