Kolorscape mini marble chips..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Don't waste your time on the vinegar test unless you really want to see what a "failure" looks like. Marble will fizz because vinegar has a pH of about 3. Just don't try keeping blackwater stuff and you'll be fine.

Whelp.. Not sure what Kolorscape's product it, but it didn't fizz at all in a bath of 5% acidity apple cider vinegar:

Here's da new fiddy-five.. in setup mode. Stuffed some used bio media in the canister and transferred the zebra danios from the 10 to the fiddy..:

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
are you sure it's really marble? most crushed decorative white rock is quartz, which should be pretty darned inert

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Interesting. Can you get a closer pic of the tank when you have time? :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
are you sure it's really marble? most crushed decorative white rock is quartz, which should be pretty darned inert
That's what I'm thinking. It doesn't say on the bag what the actual contents are aside from "mini-marble chips" from Kolorscape. You can Google the product. $3/bag at BLowes. I really like it. Looks great with the T5 HO lighting.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Interesting. Can you get a closer pic of the tank when you have time? :)
Here it is under rainy day, daylight. It might be a bit chunkier than some people's liking. It's very similar in size/config to the Lowes bought pea gravel I have in my 29gal.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Crays would love that. I would really like to do a native cray tank with a chunkier, smaller substrate like that.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just an update on the use of these marble chips:

I'm about 6 weeks into having this tank setup and stocked. I probably wouldn't use this product as substrate again. The product is perfectly fine. The bright white is not. It's like having white carpeting. It shows every turd and darkens with algae very quickly. Live and learn!

It has had zero effect on the pH in the tank. It hasn't changed per my API kit.

Brian Anderson

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ohio
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Brian Anderson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store