Kribensis Tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NegativeLogic

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Hi,

So I have this empty 90 gallon (4') I'm agonizing over the stocking of. While I'm still thinking about South Americans, I also had an idea tonight of making it a sort of African-oddballs type tank, with kribs as a major part.

How does this potential stocking sound?

Kribs X 6
Congo Tetras X 16
African Butterfly Fish X 1
Leopard Gourami X 1

Would the Leopard Gourami be trouble? Could I possibly add anything else or is there something I should change?

Thanks!

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
6 kribs might be trouble in a 4ft tank. You may end up with 3 pairs, and not enough space.

2 pairs, and see how it works out.

Ian

melv

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
wiltshire uk
not sure about the extra female but in my experience kribs can get very territorial around mating time.

A tip i got given once for breeding them was put a terracotta plant pot in with them apparently they like them for there territory. (no idea if it works but cant hurt i suppose)

N0bodyOfTheGoat

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
"Nigerian Red" Kribs (and a few other Nigerian types) are more placid than the Pulcher Krib, which might work better for you.

Another possibility is the Transvestite Cichlid (don't laugh, I ain't joking ;) ).

The African Butterfly Cichlid comes to mind too.

There's another African dwarf cichlid whose name escapes me... They develope golden yellow heads and then have red/white markings from the gills to the tail. Anyone know what I'm on about?

Edit: Your stocking is almost exactly like my planned stocking for my new Rio 240! My plans are:-
1/2 African Butterfly
1/2 Golden Panchax (not African, but they are tough killis)
~6 Congo Tetra
6 other mid dwellers (Yellowtail Congo Tetras, Alestes, or Sulawesi ~Humphead Glassfish)
1 Ctenopoma Advised these will not reach 20cm in our tanks, do not include any fish < 1/3 of your Bushfish's length unless you are buying lunch)
1 Syndontis upside down catfish (Ideally daytime active but must be happy alone, some need 2+ species mates)
2x cichlid pairs (Hoping one will be blue Lionheads, other might be "Nigerian Red" Krib or African Butterfly)
Few Sulawesi Rabbit Snails
Few Malaysian Trumpet Snails
Possibly an African Fan Shrimp

Last edited:

NegativeLogic

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
"Nigerian Red" Kribs (and a few other Nigerian types) are more placid than the Pulcher Krib, which might work better for you.

Another possibility is the Transvestite Cichlid (don't laugh, I ain't joking ;) ).

The African Butterfly Cichlid comes to mind too.

There's another African dwarf cichlid whose name escapes me... They develope golden yellow heads and then have red/white markings from the gills to the tail. Anyone know what I'm on about?

Edit: Your stocking is almost exactly like my planned stocking for my new Rio 240! My plans are:-
1/2 African Butterfly
1/2 Golden Panchax (not African, but they are tough killis)
~6 Congo Tetra
6 other mid dwellers (Yellowtail Congo Tetras, Alestes, or Sulawesi ~Humphead Glassfish)
1 Ctenopoma Advised these will not reach 20cm in our tanks, do not include any fish < 1/3 of your Bushfish's length unless you are buying lunch)
1 Syndontis upside down catfish (Ideally daytime active but must be happy alone, some need 2+ species mates)
2x cichlid pairs (Hoping one will be blue Lionheads, other might be "Nigerian Red" Krib or African Butterfly)
Few Sulawesi Rabbit Snails
Few Malaysian Trumpet Snails
Possibly an African Fan Shrimp
Nice! Thanks for sharing your planned setup. That's given me some other cool ideas to think about.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Kribs are great little cichlids. Just provide enough caves for all. IME they can be pretty shy so the more caves and plants that you have, the more outgoing they will be. Mine always hung out in the caves, whether they were breeding or not. The only problem that I could see with the african butterfly cichlid would be that they tend to stay towards the bottom of the tank( not from experience, just from research). So the paired up kribs might end up chasing the ABC from one side of the tank to the other. It might work but as stated, from reseach I could foresee a territory issue. I like the rest of the stocking, it sounds good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store