kuhli loach advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AFBRC

AC Members
Aug 28, 2010
Kansas
The other day I got some fish from someone on craigslist. The water was bad, yellow. two of the other fish died.
Anyway the rest seem healthy and two of them are kuhli loaches. I had them in my 29 gallon tank (they are in a breeding net for a bit while I deside) but I'm thinking of putting them in my 10 gallon Cherry shrimp tank, because I hear that they like to burrow in the sand. Is this a good Idea? Is that enough room for them? Will they eat my Cherry shrimp?
I have only one small fish in the shrimp tank and its a male endler. I know they like to be with others of the same kind. Is it possible for them to be happy in the shrimp tank? If so, should I get more? How many more and any advice would be great as I've never had this kind of fish before but I like them and they are really cute. Thanks.

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
You should have them in quarantine right now, since they could be sick because of the conditions they were living in. Definitely QT before you put them in the shrimp tank.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I doubt very much they'd bother your shrimp, but the footprint of a 10g is really too small for kuhlis. The 29g is better so far as size goes. (What else do you have in that tank? That's going to have an affect on your decision as well.) If you do keep them, you should plan to get at least 2-3 more. The larger the group, the happier kuhlis are.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree the 10g is too small long term, kuhlis are very active at times. I keep kuhlis with RCS, they might eat a few tiny baby shrimp but the population keeps growing. I try to keep social loaches in groups of 6 or more. The more you have the less shy they are. Lots of hiding places help too.

Too late for QT if they're in a breeder net in a tank but it's always a good idea.

AFBRC

AC Members
Aug 28, 2010
Kansas
Thanks everyone. I wish I had a QT. I plan on setting up my 22 gallon with sand bottem in a month or two. Should I just leave them in the 29 til then?

In the 29 I have mostly livebearers, and a golden algae eater. The other fish I got from this lady are being rehomed.

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
They LOVE sand (typically being under it though). They might bother baby shrimp if they are hungry (but so would the Guppy). 3 more would certainly make them happier(if you have the space). Word of advice make sure they cant get into the filter, they will try to hide there if they dont have a cave(plus they are just curious little buggers who search every nook and cranny for food so watch out!)

Hope this helps!

Fische Schlampe

AC Members
Apr 7, 2011
Australia
Real Name
D Nightshade
I love these little guys!
Every time I went to the FS I would make the poor
guy try to catch the kuhlies for me. I have a kuhlie
addiction. They are so cute.

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I believe kuhlis would be fine in a 10 gallon, as long as you keep up your weekly water changes and maintenance.
I also think they would be fine with shrimp - they have tiny mouths.
Remember if you you are considering transferring them from one tank to another how hard they are to catch!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store