Kuhliis = Uprooted Plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

O.mykiss

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
I've set up a new 65g and am in the process of creating one of those beautiful planted Angelfish tanks! I would like to have a school of corydoras and a mess of Kuhlii loaches, but in my research am running into conflicting information. Obviously Kuhliis like to burrow and could uproot plants in the process, but does anyone have a serious problem with this? I've read "Yes they will uproot plants", "No not really", and "Only plants in the front where they are usually fed". Does anyone have any opinions, or can please share their experience on the matter? Thank you in advance and thanks for reading this! :thumbsup:
:feedback:

Edit: Forgot to mention I am using pool filter sand as my substrate. Love it!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have kuhlis on fine grained pool sand & they don't dig. They do zip around like crazy sometimes & have knocked loose a couple plants without good root structures. A few small stones at the plant base to hold them down seems to work until the plants root better.

I set up the tank a couple months before adding the loaches but new crypt offsets needed help. I use root tabs with crypts & swords

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I didn't have much trouble with them, only with new plants that I added. Overall their not purposely destructive like most loaches.

O.mykiss

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
So I should be good to go with well established plants! Anyone else?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
No issues with Khulii's and plants here either.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I agree, never had the khulii loaches, but with the loaches I have had, no issues with plants being uprooted, except as everyone else has mentioned the plants that are not as well rooted. Other than that I'd say it's all good!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I have nine and they don't dig at all, but they do have a little "cave" to play in. There is a small hole in the base of a large hunk of driftwood right at the sand level. This might take care of their "fix."

They never uproot my plants, ever. Like most people have said, they sometimes play in them, and fresh plantings may uproot due to poor root structure. This is more of a plant/current issue, not so much the kuhlis. I have a terrible time getting a lot of my stem plants to stay put, but it's one part rooting issue and one part big brat of a pleco issue.

Waltmark

AC Members
Aug 27, 2010
Atlantic City, New Jersey
I just gone one the other day. He was in the tank not ten minutes, dug under a rock and i haven't seen him since. no idea why I got that bugger, so far he hasn't impressed me. But with that said, no plants have been knocked over either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store