large catfish in 55

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waterspirit

Charlie don't surf...
Dec 11, 2002
Oak Grove, KY
Visit site
well, you could always get a channel cat...

yeah i had a channel cat before, he was fun, but he didnt have much character and he didnt look cool. My ideal catfish is one that is like an underwater pet, something that recognizes me when i walk over to him, something that looks really cool and gets fairly big. And they have to eat live food, I love watching that.

hiratals

Registered Member
Dec 12, 2005
How about a Red Tail Tiger Shovelnose Hybrid?

I have one, have had it for about 1 to 1 1/2 months, it's already grown almost 2 inches. If you research this hybrid, you'll find most folks are saying to stay away since it will get BIG, and it's just an EATING MACHINE!!! And, yes, my Red Tail Tiger Shovelnose gobbles up goldfish like nothin'...

Red Tail Tiger Shovelnose Hybrid-B.jpg

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
12-23-2002...lol, I barely remember posting in this thread.

Mar 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
I love when that happens... I dotn even know how people come up with these old old old threads... thats to bad, its to late for me to make my suggestion. I like the giraffe catfish

graysilm

AC Members
Nov 9, 2005
Your intentions are good, and if you want a catfish that eats feeder fish I would recommend a flathead. However I will warn you that a 55gal is only 12 inches wide, so these fish will have a hard time turning around. I do quite a bit of catfishing and they are very muscular and strong fish. get one much bigger that 12 inches and his thrashing could easily shatter a 55 gallon tank. be careful and good luck.

Mar 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
a redtail are you serious? I hope not. red tails grow FAST and HUGE. they are capable of eating fish the same size as them and some may even be a little bigger! that is a beast that should not be kept in a 55g

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
wwildcats04 said:
a redtail are you serious? I hope not. red tails grow FAST and HUGE. they are capable of eating fish the same size as them and some may even be a little bigger! that is a beast that should not be kept in a 55g
A juvenile could be accommodated, but he would, even then, have to direct it to said exhibit within a fairly short length of time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store