large tanks: build or buy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
depends on if you have materials readily available

I know for me.. there are a lot of cheap local shops that sell glass and acrylic cheap...

I could build one for half the price of buying (over 120g)

but I still chose to buy all my tanks... I get them dirty and used (Cheap) and refurbish them for a fraction of the cost of a new tank

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
For the majority of folks out there that want a bigger tank, my recommendation would be to buy used.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
The only con in my book with plywood is the looks. You have to sand, then stain, then apply a gloss if you want. Where as when you buy, its setup and fill. If you are a DIY person, then you wouldnt mind spending 30-60min putting on that final finish. But in my mind. I would rather have a cherry/walnut finish on my stand and tank than just glass.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
I build custom tanks on the side. Some of you may be familliar with my DIY threads. I recently built a 105gal acrylic for a customer, and the materials alone were $900 (2x 4x8 sheets of 1/2 acrylic plus taxes, cement, applicators, sandpaper, novus polish.) This is obviously not very cost effective, but he wanted a specific size and he could afford to pay for custom work.

Around 200-300gal is around where DIY becomes more cost effective for acrylic, but then part of that is because it's not easy to find a manufactured 300gal that doesn't need to be shipped.

All glass is even worse for the DIYer to try to get cheap, unless you find it used, or know a glass guy or something. Buying the glass to built yourself a 100ish gallon tank will cost way more than just buying a tank off the shelf. Again the tradeoff point comes in around 300gal, depending on the dims.

Plywood is **** cheap, and glass for plywood builds can be salvaged from used tanks. Even if you get the window new, you're only making the important side clear, and the rest of the tank comes cheap. What I find unfortunately (and this is just a function of my personality) is that I have ideas as I go for how to make the build cool or sexy or just plain sweet, and generally these ideas aren't all that cheap. Things like laminating the bottom of the tank with fiberglass to resist damage from rocks and decor, or using expensive tooling gelcoat because it's stronger, or using aluminum flashing on all the corners to cover screw holes and dress up the tank. My 180gal build cost me around $1500 by the time I was done with the oak front, 15mm glass, and all the equipment to run the tank, whereas it could have been done for around $400. My 600gal build is so far struggling to stay on budget, because I keep having these wonderful ideas...

Apr 2, 2002
New York
All I know is if I buy a big new All Glass tank, I get it home, fill and stock it and it gives way the next day and kills the fish and floods the room causing damages, I am on the phone fast and if i don't get results I know who to sue. If I build the tank myself and it lets go................

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store