largest size cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
27lbs!

27lbs is huge!

Still, It would be nice to know the length of the fish. Its hard to speculate comparing Cichla to Micropterus even by length or weight. Just can't be done.

Cichla Temensis to my knowledge have not been bred in the aquarium. A Man named Bob Hare fron NJ, is trying to breed them in a HUGE vat. I hope he is suceeding. Maybe like a 750g+ tank for a pair could work.

ttl

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
No clue. I don't personally know him. His email address is ottodobie@yahoo.com. He goes by the name Hareball. You could try a google search under that name. His pictures of Cichla temensis are all over the web. he is friends with a man who goes by Cichlidgeek. Together they pretty much know everything about Cichla.

Shoot him an email, I'm sure he would be happy to answer your questions.

ttl

fishlips

Quality Takes Time
Dec 22, 2001
Harwinton,CT
One world record striper is around 78 pounds. Lenth of the fish was 53" with a 34.5" girth. It was landed in New Jersey on twenty pound test and took two hours to reel in.

Last edited:

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
i have seen a dovii at about 36" (approx decause it was still alive and swimming and i didnt have a tape measure), it was in like a 1000g tank, it was crazy, it would always swim up to the front of the tank if you got too close ans ram its face into the glass.

BigOh

African Rift Lake or bust
Aug 28, 2001
NY, USA
www.african.uklinux.net
I find it interesting how big those fish can get .. yet still retain great color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store