laser light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Knoxx

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Wisconsin
Wow none of you have taken pleasure watching your dog or cat try to capture the moving red dot on the floor? I wouldn't shine it in a pets eyes that would be cruel. Some stalk and prey fun with a pet I feel is healthy and fun for you and your pet. Even a piece of yarn can be used cruelly. It's not the tool but how you use it.

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
Wow none of you have taken pleasure watching your dog or cat try to capture the moving red dot on the floor? I wouldn't shine it in a pets eyes that would be cruel. Some stalk and prey fun with a pet I feel is healthy and fun for you and your pet. Even a piece of yarn can be used cruelly. It's not the tool but how you use it.
I agree. Any toy can be misused and put a pet in danger.

As far as fish are concerned, some of them, especially schooling fish, go crazy over it. Thank my former co-workers at Petsmart for that bit of knowledge. We experimented a bit with it. The schooling fish go nuts and chase it, most of the goldfish seemed to ignore it, the koi liked it a little, and, if I remember right, the cichlids (except the angelfish) ignored it as well. (NOTE: I'm not recommending doing it, but I'm not forbidding it either.)

sweetlowride

AC Members
Nov 3, 2009
Kelowna B.C Canada
I play with our cats using a laser all the time, They go nuts for it. I agree that they can be dangerous but it is all how you use it. I wouldnt use it on my fish because it reflects off glass and I dont need it shining in my eyes

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
well my dog LOVES to chase it all the time even wen i grab the laser ( just to go grab it to use it ) my dog knows what that measn and gets all excited trying to search the floor for the dot.. i should record it one of these days

Barnacle

AC Members
Dec 22, 2009
SW Washington
I used to use a pointer to play with my cats too, but I found they like the little flash lights just as much (not to mention they're safer).

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
No banning, remember it a free country for law abiding citizens. Don't trump freedom for the sake of safety OK. Now I have a laser toy for my cats and they love it and on two occasions ran it on the sand and the Cichlids loved chasing it but obviously it not as safe as on the ground.

It pretty difficult to aim at the eye and it would require you to hold a persons head steady for minutes before anything would happen, believe me arch-welding can cause more damage in seconds, shall we ban all hobby arch welding too!

They are used in gun sights and for gun bore alignment and measuring devices, leveling devices, pointing and surveying devices, and yes believe it or not as hand held devices for pet chase toys, I also own a gun, OH MY!

So you see all we have to do is think positive for a moment about all the great free choices the laser light has brought about before calling for the mob or government to take away your freedom for fear of your self or neighbors control. Why this country is headed in the direction it is already.
Remember Ben Franklin's warning "Those that would exchange freedom for safety deserve neither."

Last edited:

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
I have a laser pointer that my cats love to chase. Anybody can misuse anything IMO.

+1 to gunners post.

robotdeathsquad

AC Members
Jan 5, 2010
No banning, remember it a free country for law abiding citizens. Don't trump freedom for the sake of safety OK. Now I have a laser toy for my cats and they love it and on two occasions ran it on the sand and the Cichlids loved chasing it but obviously it not as safe as on the ground.

It pretty difficult to aim at the eye and it would require you to hold a persons head steady for minutes before anything would happen, believe me arch-welding can cause more damage in seconds, shall we ban all hobby arch welding too!
Yeah, but can an arch welding tool have the capability of blinding a pilot on a plane with hundreds of passengers causing it to possibly crash?

I'm all for freedom, but lasers that can blind a pilot of a passenger airplane is a serious threat to life. Yes, a few morons will ruin it for everyone, but I don't want to die because of those morons.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Yeah, but can an arch welding tool have the capability of blinding a pilot on a plane with hundreds of passengers causing it to possibly crash?

I'm all for freedom, but lasers that can blind a pilot of a passenger airplane is a serious threat to life. Yes, a few morons will ruin it for everyone, but I don't want to die because of those morons.
I'm willing to put up with these morons in order to not live in a nanny state.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store