Learn me canister filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
After reading the forums on different topics, I too have been wondering about a canister. I'm familiar with the old school under gravel (which seem to be going the way of dinosaurs), and HOB style because I've used one on a 20g for 15 or so years. (2 different brands because the first just up and stopped working one day.) I recently bought a submersible for the 25g community I set up for my sister, and while it's absolutely silent, it's obvious in the corner of the tank and created a pretty strong current.
My past experience has been much the same. Started with UG filters (and they certainly have benefits, but also carry risks), moved to HOB, and now for the past 15 years canisters on larger tanks and sponge filters on smaller.

How do canisters do with power outages? Some HOBs absolutely must be primed again after losing power, which can be a nightmare if it happens while you are out - or on vacation.
And do you have to unplug a canister to do water changes?
Canisters will (or should) restart with no trouble. I shut mine off (by turning off the power bar for each) when I do water changes, and the only time I have trouble re-starting is if I remove water so the intake is out of the water and air can get in. You can leave it running provided the intake remains below water, though I have noticed when doing this that when the water gets low in the tank the filter flow lessens too. I rarely do this, and wouldn't recommend it.

The issue with a power outage is the time; too long and the filter can be anaerobic. In very long outages, most recommend cleaning the filter before re-starting.

Back in the 1980's when I used HOB I came home one evening to the smell of burning metal. The power had gone off for a few seconds, and the HOB ran dry, burning the motor out.

How quiet/noisy are canisters?
I cannot hear my two Eheims running, and they have been continually running since 1996 and 1998. My Rena was noticeable at first, but now almost as quiet as the Eheims. Most air pumps make more noise than canisters should.

Can one be set up to handle multiple tanks?
Only if there is some sort of water flow between the tanks themselves. The intake and outflow hoses have to be in the same body of water.

Is it best to have just a canister, or should it be supplemented with a backup?
I know several members here seem to recommend multiple filters, but there is no benefit to this unless the filters are insufficient for the tank to begin with. Filters obviously take power to run, and while I have not checked into this, I would expect two filters (even though smaller) to take more power than one adequate filter. There is no benefit to having the tank water running through multiple filters, unless there is a biological issue to begin with. If a single filter is adequate for the tank's volume and fish load, it will do the best job of filtration, whether mechanical, biological or chemical, assuming it is operating properly. One also has to consider water flow (which should always be geared to the fish species), achieving this throughout the tank in a natural manner, etc.

I'm planning on doing a heavily planted 29g for my gambusia,
Planted tanks have a bit different need when it comes to filters. The filter need not be as "obvious" with live plants because they do the job of filtration. Some water circulation and mechanical filtration is all you want in planted tanks. Again, this assumes the tank is biologically balanced; obviously over stocking the tank or having the wrong mix of fish species will have problems, plants or no plants.

Oh, about your bala sharks.... My tinfoil is in the same family. They need a LOT of room. I'd seriously look at getting a very sturdy tank with a heavy lid because they will crash around, especially if startled. My tinfoil absolutely HATES me working in or cleaning the tank. Freaks him out something fierce, and last time he got so stressed he jumped over the aquarium support that keeps the top from bowing. I got a face full of tank water for my efforts, but at least mini Shamu stayed in the tank. (And for those who picked it up.... Yes, single tinfoil. Lone survivor of a difficult to find color strain. Would love more if I can find them.)
This behaviour is most likely a direct result of being on its own. I'm not blaming you, I understand the issue...but unfortunately the fish does not. Shoaling fish that are denied an adequate number of their own species usually become stressed, and this manifests itself with abnormal behaviours, aggression or sometimes the opposite when the fish withdraws even to the point of not eating. The "security blanket" of sufficient fish is a significant need of shoaling fish that is a major part of their design. It is also a fact that adding more fish later may or may not remedy things. Stress when it is severe (to the fish) can cause detrimental internal changes in fish physiology.

Byron.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
There is a benefit to multiple filters. Especially if one fails, the other can quickly pick up the load in 24-48 hours. One of the most popular HOBs, AC, has a tendency to not restart on power losses. And a second filter gives you an easy option to use media to start another tank, if only for QT.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I know several members here seem to recommend multiple filters, but there is no benefit to this unless the filters are insufficient for the tank to begin with. Filters obviously take power to run, and while I have not checked into this, I would expect two filters (even though smaller) to take more power than one adequate filter. There is no benefit to having the tank water running through multiple filters, unless there is a biological issue to begin with. If a single filter is adequate for the tank's volume and fish load, it will do the best job of filtration, whether mechanical, biological or chemical, assuming it is operating properly. One also has to consider water flow (which should always be geared to the fish species), achieving this throughout the tank in a natural manner, etc.
I recommend two filters as insurance against the unlikely event that a filter suddenly dies or stops for some reason. It shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does. Then you're at half capacity instead of zero, which would really suck in overstocked tanks. It also helps distribution with HOBs in 4 foot tanks.

It's not a necessity, but it gives me peace of mind :)

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
Every canister I've had restarts without issue after a power outage.

They can be very quiet. Eheim Classics are usually dead silent. The Cobalt EXT is very quiet.

i don't see how you could have more than one tank served by a single canister.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I know several members here seem to recommend multiple filters, but there is no benefit to this unless the filters are insufficient for the tank to begin with....
Oh Geeze.. On an Oscar board I frequent, you'd get flamed out of the place suggesting a single filter only. Some of them run 2-3 large canisters and a large HOB on their 4-6ft tanks.

I hear you though. A tank setup and stocked appropriately, should only need a single appropriately sized filter. Sponge bubblers are so darn handy to transfer to a brand-new tank for an instant setup.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
There're many reasons for running an additional filter, (I agree with Byron but I'm running 2 filters on 2 out of 3 tanks), I run an extra for backup since the primary filters are old and unreliable. Each backup is capable of handling the load of each tank so if one quits, no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
If you agree with Byron, why not remove the old filters?

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
The filters in question still work, I just feel it would be a waste to throw them out. I have 1 filter on my 29g which was a new setup and I bought a new filter for it and have no plans of adding to it. I've had issues with the older ones but managed to get them going again. I guess I'm waiting for 1 more breakdown. I'm not saying running more than one filter is wrong and don't believe he was saying that either but 1 appropriately sized filter should be adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Look at it as you have extras to start up another tank for yourself or someone else.

IMO, the power consumption is a non-issue for the average hobbyist with a few tanks. You're talking ~10-40watts of power consumption on average for a consumer grade tank filter or air pump. Obviously shedding 10 of them from your fleet would be a savings, but 1-3 of them, you'd hardly notice on your electric bill. Heaters, larger fluorescent lighting, etc are your real power consumers.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Oh Geeze.. On an Oscar board I frequent, you'd get flamed out of the place suggesting a single filter only. Some of them run 2-3 large canisters and a large HOB on their 4-6ft tanks.

I hear you though. A tank setup and stocked appropriately, should only need a single appropriately sized filter. Sponge bubblers are so darn handy to transfer to a brand-new tank for an instant setup.
One must keep things in context. An aquarium should have filtration suited to its needs, which primarily involves the fish species and numbers as well as tank volume. Other factors such as live plants and feeding impact too. Then of course, water changes. I think the test should be the filter failing; if it does, the fish should not be in peril until it is fixed...if they are, then obviously something is wrong to begin with. The filter should not be that critical. After all, one can have a tank with no filters (I had one for a year). And what about power outages, which in parts of North America seem to be happening in the recent winters for days. You simply have to understand the fish and chemistry and don't push the limits by extra filters which is not really the solution anyway.

There are filters available for every sized aquarium. If you have a huge tank with large messy fish, and want two filters instead of one larger one, fine. My initial comments were in response to the OP's question if a second filter was necessary with a canister, and the answer to that is certainly no, provided you have an adequate filter for the tank and the intended fish. I'm thinking biologically here, which I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) was the thinking behind the question.

More filters, assuming this means beyond what is needed in the first place for the setup, do not improve things for the fish, all else being equal. There is only so much biological filtration that can occur in a given tank, so more filters (beyond the essential) is not going to increase filtration biologically. The thinking that running two filters will always mean better water is flawed.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store