Learning to quarantine everything...the hard way...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Another 'from what I understand' post coming...;):

Ok, from what I understand, many MANY tanks have ich present, but healthy fish can usually fight it off and never get sick. It's only once stress (temp changes, bad params, fighting, etc) is introduced that the fish have problems.

My clown was visibly covered with the stuff (once of the two) and still acted just like normal.

I don't really know what to tell you. You should have gotten a $$$ guarantee from the guy. ;)

rusty-nail-z

AC Members
Apr 18, 2007
San Diego
yeah, i think im just gonna set up my quarantine tank anyway. I really have no concrete way of "confirming" that my fish has ich, other that from pics and what I learn. It is only one spot now, but do I really want to wait until it gets worse? I just dont want to have to reboot my whole tank becuz of it. Does ich always manifest itself it multiple spots? Thanx for all the help so far, Ill ahve to start reading up on all those ich posts that I passed over while gettting my tank started. Good luck with your recovery subliminal

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
sucks to hear bro, I QT since Ive heard the horror stories. I like to keep my QT with at least one fish in there at all times, I currently have a yellow watchman and some chromis. Although I never QT any coral or inverts I am not sure if that is a good thing or not but I dont have any outbreaks or any bad water params thus far. I did have this one prob when I purchase my Regal tang from a Good LFS but I noticed a white spot once I was driving back home and when I finally got home I saw a lot of while spots So I drove to another LFS (since the one I purchase him in was an hour away) that was 15 min to show them they said it wasnt ich but that he was just stressed out and that he would be fine. I took no chances and purchase a new regal from them and got a store credit for the other one. I really dont want to ever get ich and thus QTing is in effect.

phoneman111

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
fighting ich

is there any way to fight ich without that blue/green crap.i have a 55g african cichlid tank with peacock eel. i just like to be safe because i frequently purchase 1 or 2 at a time.i have 12 now and i would hate to lose any of them. thanks for your help

rusty-nail-z

AC Members
Apr 18, 2007
San Diego
dam, this thread is still gettin action, hope its goin ok for you sublim...I just got my qt tank up and goin, gettin ready to add my femal perc in there and her parter just in case. My girl went by the LFS today to get some water and some misc items. The guy there told her to qt the fishes for about 7 days while treating with this "Rid-Ich" stuff. He said meanwhile the main tank will be gettin rid of the ich too as there are no more fish in it. Ill prob treat longer to be safe, does any of this sound like a good course of action?

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Yep- most of us learn the hard way, myself included. It really doesn't cost much to start a QT. I've also never heard somone say they regret having a QT. I've heard plenty of people say the opposite though.

is there any way to fight ich without that blue/green crap.i have a 55g african cichlid tank with peacock eel. i just like to be safe because i frequently purchase 1 or 2 at a time.i have 12 now and i would hate to lose any of them. thanks for your help
Treating ich for freshwater is a little bit different. There's a link on here I'll try to find. But no, that blue-green stuff isn't necessary.

The guy there told her to qt the fishes for about 7 days while treating with this "Rid-Ich" stuff. He said meanwhile the main tank will be gettin rid of the ich too as there are no more fish in it. Ill prob treat longer to be safe, does any of this sound like a good course of action?
No, I would QT for a lot longer than 7 days. Sounds like the guy at the LFS isn't too familiar with the life cycle of ich. It'll also take longer than 7 days for your main tank. Rid Ich is not proven to work and is not an effective cure.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY

rusty-nail-z

AC Members
Apr 18, 2007
San Diego
Well, I went ahead and started treating my two clownfish with rid ich. Got my water params in the qt goin well. I filled the qt with half tankwater and half fresh saltwater mix, and am concerned about how I will stay on top of ammon, nitrite and nitrite levels.... This rid ich stuff turns to color the water becuz of the malachite green in it, and I have API liquid test kits. I guess frequent water changes on are the menu. The bottle of the rid ich prescribes a 25% change per treatment which would mean per day. One of the links to those reefkeeping articles said as much as 50%. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store