LED lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smokey2957

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Burlington, Washington
I have a 46 gallon planted tank running a 2x96 power compact fixture. I am wanting to upgrade to LED's. Was wondering if anybody has used this light on a planted tank, BeamsWork 0.2W Tri 36" HI LUMEN LED Light Fixture, LEDs Count: 129
2900 Lumens
Super energy efficient 0.2 watt high output LEDs
121x 10,000K LED
8x Actinic 460nm LED, Price $59.95
Use 26 watts. If anybody has used them can you give me input as how much plant growth you had. I am looking to keep anywhere from low light to high light plants. If you have any advice on another fixture that is about the same price I will check it out.

smokey2957

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Burlington, Washington
After doing some more research I have decided not to go with the light mentioned above . I will just go with 25w CFL bulbs. Does any body have any advice on how many I should go with for a 46 gallon bow front tank. I was thinking of doing eight, with about four blue ones if I can find them for moonlight.

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
.. I will just go with 25w CFL bulbs. Does any body have any advice on how many I should go with for a 46 gallon bow front tank. I was thinking of doing eight, with about four blue ones if I can find them for moonlight.
I would think 8, 25W CFLs would be way more than you'd need for this tank, plus that's got to be ~$160 worth of CFLs @ $20/ea or so. :hypnotized:

A lot of heat given off too.

smokey2957

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Burlington, Washington
A six pack of 26w CFL bulbs at walmart are only 10.94. I don't know where you are purchasing your cfl's that is way over priced. If it turns out to be too much light then I will go with a lower wattage bulb.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You could probably get them at the dollar store. If they put out less than 6500K, they won't do much for you with respect to growing plants. Pretty sure your Walmart 6 pack aren't 6500K lamps.

smokey2957

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Burlington, Washington
Well if they are not I will just look for the 65000k ones. My daughter has four 25w ones over her 20 gallon tank and her plants grow like crazy and she does not have any problem with algae she only has like three cherry shrimp in it at the moment.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Well if they are not I will just look for the 65000k ones. My daughter has four 25w ones over her 20 gallon tank and her plants grow like crazy and she does not have any problem with algae she only has like three cherry shrimp in it at the moment.

Could be worth a shot then?

Your tank would be a lot deeper than a 20G though. Does your daughter's get decent ambient light as well?

Maybe the combined PAR from multiple standard ~25watt CFLs is enough? I dunno. I would have thought that would just grow algae like crazy and create a ton of heat.

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
I purchase 2 of the fixtures you originality posted about. For $119 for 2 units was awesome. I'm running them on a 125 gallon tank. Very bright 2900 lumens per unit. The only issue I have is when I first got them one of the wires leading into the transformer seemed to be loose. I should have contacted them right away but they seem to fine once I put them in place until last week. I have had the lights go off a couple times because the transformer was jarred. I contacted them and they informed me that they only have a 30 guarantee. Both the hubby and the oldest son are a whiz when it comes to anything electrical, I might just have them look at it.

I toyed back and forth with the lighting on my tank since the previous lights were 4 36" T-8 bulbs and the fixture itself was 16 years old. I thought about retro-fitting the old hood to hold the CFL bulb or going the LED route. I'm actually glad I went with these fixtures. They look great and are very bright.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store