LED lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KLelle

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Toronto, Canada
www.kirstilangen.ca
Once i get my new 40 Gallon in two months or so i'd like to use LED lights and i need some advice on which ones are the best or if it's even possible to have LED lights with a reef tank all input on this subject is welcome!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I'm certainly no expert as to which LEDs are best, nor how many are required to adequately light a reef tank, but I do know and have seen people using LEDs as the only light for their reef tanks. There's a couple here on AC, hopefully they'll see your thread and share their experiences.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Probably want at least 1 of these, possibly 2 on a 40G if you want really high light demanding corals. Still too expensive for my taste to buy a fixture. I think they run around $500ea.. so if you need 2 of them and want a controller with it to give different settings your looking at around $1300. They will work for any type of coral.. but the price is just waaaay to high when compared to T5HOs, that is unless you build your own LED light, then it is reasonable.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/06/08/tmc-releases-aquabeam-1500-xg-ultima-led-aquaray/

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Probably want at least 1 of these, possibly 2 on a 40G if you want really high light demanding corals. Still too expensive for my taste to buy a fixture. I think they run around $500ea.. so if you need 2 of them and want a controller with it to give different settings your looking at around $1300. They will work for any type of coral.. but the price is just waaaay to high when compared to T5HOs, that is unless you build your own LED light, then it is reasonable.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/06/08/tmc-releases-aquabeam-1500-xg-ultima-led-aquaray/

Those are almost $400, ouch!

the LED's are going to be the most expensive part of my project, I'm dreading explaining that bill to the wife...

and I am only going to use them for supplemental lighting!

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Well, if they are simply supplimental lighting then you can get off for A LOT cheaper. ;) Look up some LED tubes like the ones pictured below. Just google "LED Tube Light" and see if you can find some blue ones. I am at work now and can't search to much right at the moment.

modpod77

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Do you guys know a site that sell this LED tubes online? I want some red and blue for my tank :D
oh, and ship to Asia. Thank you so much :D

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
there arent a ton of good fixtures out there for led, most of the ones ive seen are small leds which wont penetrate as well as larger leds. the ones that are good cost even more, id say building your own is the way to go, for a 40 breeder reef, you would need in the range of 36-48 leds. aside from leds you will need drivers and a heatsink mainly

80 dollars for drivers, 100 for heatsink, maybe 3-400 for leds, its a big leap, but check out nano-reef where theyve done 40 breeder builds before to get an idea of what youre looking at

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
the rebel isnt actually much worse than crees, the xp-g is a big step up but before that the xr-e wasnt much more effecient. and there is a new rebel in the works that will match the xp-g. i used to knock the rebel too before i really learned about it.

the fixture does seem redic expensive though, you could probably build it for a quarter to a half of the price

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store