Left heater on. Still good to use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
So I have an aquatop 75 watt heater in my 20 gal tank. I did a water change and forgot to unplug the heater. I smelt something burning and realized my heater was still running. It was out of the water for probably 3-4 minutes. It's a glass heater and around the glass looked like a burnt substance, but easily came off with water, though it kind of melted the plastic clip that was holding it to the tank. Anyways I unplugged it, cooled it off, inspected it, no cracks or leaks, put it back in and let it sit for 30-40 minutes in the water before turning it back on. It's been a few days and it seems like it's working. It shuts itself off when at the desired temp. Do you think it's still safe to use? Or should I get a new one?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Heaters are.. a pain in butt. They are vital to keep our fish alive and healthy so they need to be in good working order. They also have the highest failure rate of all our equipment though. A bad heater can do as little as stop turning on allowing temps to drop and a much as explode or short out and electrify the tank. To be safe, for the fish and your sake, you should replace it. I am cheap and hate wasting things but heaters is the one thing I don't mess with.

Reactions: Phoenixjoni

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agree with the above. With ANY electrical appliance, getting it to the point where it smells hot indicates a problem. You have a limited ability to determine what has been compromised--internal wiring could be damaged, for example. Cheaper to replace a heater.

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
Agreed. I'm cheap as well so I hate having to get another heater, especially since I just barely bought this heater. But I just got a new halfmoon rosetail betta that cost me a pretty penny so I'd hate to lose him over being cheap. Just ordered myself a new heater and will be here tomorrow! Thanks for your quick responses!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
We've all been there. It's probably the #1 killer of heaters, with #2 being water getting in from the dial-end due to being being kept fully under water.

I keep heaters and filters on the same power strip and kill power to the strip before I do tank maintenance.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I keep heaters and filters on the same power strip and kill power to the strip before I do tank maintenance.
I do this as well. As a bonus it's also so much easier to flip the switch instead of having to unplug/plug anything.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You can get strips that have switches for each outlet.

and personally we keep heaters horizontally towards the bottom of the tank, so they remain submerged even with a 75% WC,

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
You can get strips that have switches for each outlet.

and personally we keep heaters horizontally towards the bottom of the tank, so they remain submerged even with a 75% WC,
Can the aquatop GH75 be fully submerged?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store