Lexan aquarium top?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

as40

Give it to us raw and wriggling!
Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
Hello all...

Want to replace my heavy, ackward, very breakable glass lid on my aquarium with a much lighter, break-resistant lexan lid. Here's a link I found with properties of the material, which sounds pretty good:

http://www.gelexan.com/gelexan/features.html

Also, was thinking I could drill small holes throughout the top of the lid to allow for better heat disipation, air flow, and gas exchange. I've been researching, and it seems that lexan is supposedly resistant to discoloration as well...

Ideas? Opinions? Likes/dislikes with personal experiences?

Thanks in advance for any input.

as40

Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
Hmm...

Don't know, actually. My tank is glass, and has a big glass piece running the center -width of the top of the tank, but the lid wouldn't actually touch that, just the recessed rim that runs around the top of the tank...

Any ideas of how I'd "build in" some sort of support? I was thinking of using lexan either 1/4" or 1/3" thick, though I don't know how they sell it. Thought maybe if it were thick enough bowing wouldn't be a concern.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'm not sure how similar lexan is to plexiglass (might be the same thing for all I know), but I do know that plexiglass works very well. It is light weight, and hasn't bowed on the applications I've had for it. I tried using glass covers (just cut to fit, nothing fancy) on the 55 gallon sump, but they are very thin, hard to drill for pass-throughs, and yes, sharp! Replaced with plexiglass from Home Depot. It's a bit thicker than the glass (1/4 glass, this is 3/8), easy to cut to fit and for tubing, and no worry of them breaking. They don't flex, but are also only 2 ft X 1.5 ft. If I wanted to run them longer, I'd just get a strip of thicker plexiglass and glue it on top for support. Also makes a dandy handle (I do have small chunks glues on just for that reason).

as40

Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
Thanks for your experience. Gives me ideas to think about... :)

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by OrionGirl
I'm not sure how similar lexan is to plexiglass (might be the same thing for all I know),
they are both name brand acrylics.

Very similar.

Ive used acrylic for tank tops, but it does tend to warp if not thick enough.

Macromatt

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Clinton Township, MI
www.mattbaclar.com
PLexi & lexan are different. Plexi is just plain acrylic used for windows & such. Lexan is super high strength acrylic. It is denser/ heavier, harder to cut, etc. They use lexan on battlebots if you remember that show.

Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store