lightbulb go BOOM!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
i was just chilling here on the couch when i heard a loud POP from behind me, turned around, and saw one of the bulbs over my turtle tank going dim.... it's an exoterra moonlight bulb, i think a 75 watt, in a flukers clamp dome, and it's only about two or three weeks old. has anyone ever experienced a blowout like this so soon? what could cause this to happen? might there be something wrong with the clamp or the socket it's plugged into, or is it likely just a defective bulb?

thx :headshake2:

Knoxx

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Wisconsin
If it heats up some water my have splashed on it causing a crack which would make the pop noise.

theicequeen

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
new york
check the clamp lamp and see what wattage it holds up to, that can do that to a bulb. (i.e.) If the lamp only holds up to a 50 watt then that could be the problem.
I agree with the water splashing up to. that will definately do it.

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
I don't believe the turtle had been doing anything that caused a splash, but i'll have a look at the bulb once it cools off. i'll check the dome's rating as well.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i have a theory about pet store incandescent bulbs... it's not good. i've never had good luck with them.

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
i've got the same bulb over my hermit crab tank in a zoo med twin dome and it's fine after two months... the daylight bulb is fine, too...
anywho, gonna go check the bulb and dome now...

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
i've got the same bulb over my hermit crab tank in a zoo med twin dome and it's fine after two months... the daylight bulb is fine, too...
anywho, gonna go check the bulb and dome now...

ok, well, we can rule out the wattage issue... it says 75 watt or smaller. a huge portion of the bulb is blown out, all around the base- completely dry and not reachable by any errant drops of water... now i'm REALLY confunded!

theicequeen

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
new york
could have just been a bad bulb or the lamp is going. I would take it back to be safe and get a new one.

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
*sigh* so glad i never throw away receipts.... now, to try to get all the glass out of the gravel >_<

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
also drop the maker of the bulb a note letting them know the problem, could be a defective batch and your not the only one it happened to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store