Lighting a 55 planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

z.fish.a.holic

AC Members
Nov 8, 2011
what I have in mine are 4 6500k 26watt cfls if that helps you any. seems to be working great...but it depends on what you're tryin to accomplish! :)

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
65k is a good color temp for your eye. Plants seem to grow well with it as well. You shouldn't really need to change out your lamps.

lil_pendejo

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
This is what I am working with so far and I am going to be doing a DIY CO2 set up this weekend. The water is a little cloudy due to me getting a Rapps order in and putting 12 new fish in and then me going out and picking up 2 small Angels and and 4 tiny albino Cory's in about 4 hours later. My fault completely, but the fish show no sign of any problems and my water is still testing out fine. I'm getting rid of the power compacts mainly because of them being old, it's getting hard to find the bulbs for them, I want a programmable timer and the fixture is only about 46 inches long and I no longer want them resting on the glass. I would rather have a unit that is raised. IMG_0612.JPGIMG_0613.JPGIMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0614.JPG

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
As mentioned the bulb color temps are fine. I'm not familiar with these fixtures but in most cases having more than 2 HO bulbs running is going to be overkill. If there is a way to only run 1 or 2 then I'd go with that...

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Let us know when you get your new fixture. I for one will be interested to hear how it's working for you and how you like it

lil_pendejo

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
I actually got it yesterday and I love it. The lights look great, the timer is great, it looks good and the led lunar lights look great. Im very happy with it so far.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
I actually got it yesterday and I love it. The lights look great, the timer is great, it looks good and the led lunar lights look great. Im very happy with it so far.

Sounds like you need to post another picture. ;)

lil_pendejo

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes. There are 3 timers on it. First timer controls 1 bulb, 2nd timer controls 2 bulbs and the 3rd controls the LED's. I'll post some pictures when I get home. I'm picking up some plumbing for my UV so I can hook it up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store